MGC Servo/Booster?

Hello

My MGC ('69) had a Girling brake servo, but its main function seemed to be to inject my expensive DOT5 brake fluid into the engine and therefore block the road with smoke. I have therefore removed the servo and pipes, blocked the vacuum, and made a pipe from the master cylinder to the distribution unit. The brakes are less responsive, but a hard press will lock the wheels on a dry road.

Apparently there is now no seal kit for the Girling kit, but I was considering installing an MGB remote servo or in fact any remote servo from any car that would be suitable (any suggestions?). My reading of the design with the servo is that anything that gave a brake boost similar to the Girling unit would be helpful. Also, it seems that an MOT is interested in what the brakes can do, not how they're made, so removing this unit would be acceptable.

If you have any experience in this matter I would be most grateful.

Best wishes

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bailey

Just blocking off the vacuum pipe would have been sufficient. You may have to replace the activation rubber(with a firmer one) to take out the soft peddle.

Remote units were fitted to heaps of cars even a mini cooper. They work on the same principle as the old unit but are actuated by the brake fluid pressure.

Older smaller units will be more successful on the B as there is less power applied so you will have more feel to the brakes.

Reply to
Rob