Tired midget 1500 RB

Hi to All

I'm a yank with a '77 midget with a bit of a tired motor. My question is re-build it? (I'd also like more performance if possible) Swap something else?(Some sort of American motor and Trans)4,v6,or even a V8 for heaven's sake!

5or6 speed or auto trans Anyone have any experince with this?

Thanks Much Joe Viola

Reply to
Joe V

I have a neighbour, well he lives just down the road from me, who replaced his Midget engine with a 1300cc Kawasaki engine and gearbox. He now has a midget that goes like hell, sounds like an F1 car and has a 6 speed sequential gearbox, forwards and backwards!

Reply to
Nick Mason

By '77 the North American variant of the Spridget was strangulated by a single Zenith Stromberg and low compression, making a manly 60 hp or so. Even in good shape their pace was glacial.

For much less money than an engine transplant it is possible to get that motor up around 100 bhp, and at that they become a lot of fun to drive without being fragile.

The bottom end has to be good or it isn't worth playing with more grunt, so address the crank, bearings and shims first. Once that's done you can get a big boost by chucking that wretched Stromberg over a hedge and replacing it with twin 1 1/2" SUs, as issued to European Midgets and Sprites of the era. Intake manifolds are available from Europe without breaking the bank, or if you're lucky you may find one on this side of the pond from a slightly earlier Spitfire.

I stuck higher compressi>> Hi to All

Reply to
Kevin Hall

There are a few engine / gearbox options, popular are Datsun A series + 5 speed, or MG K series woith a 5 speed. But I dont know about availability in the US.

Go to

register (free) and ask again on the Midget/Sprite bulletin boards. Quite a few 'mericans there that will be able to give you some options. .

Cheers Ian F

Reply to
Bot