Help Please - 2 Questions about Low Sulfur Diesel

2 questions about the up-coming low sulfur diesel:
1. What will this "new" diesel do to my 2003 Jetta TDI?
2. How does this change affect me legally? Will present
day diesels be clean enough? Will they be Grandfathered in as far as emitions test standards and registering cars?
--
Numan

The "new" fuel will be about like what is already sold in Europe. Your car will run the same, only it won't emit oxides of sulphur and the fuel system should last longer.Your car, and my 100hp '04 are not as powerful as the newer design 1.9 TDI's sold in Europe. The newer versions of the engine apparently don't handle "dirty" US fuel well so they don't sell them here yet, but our "old" ones will like the new, cleaner fuel just fine.
I'm sure you'll be able to drive your car for its normal life time with not problem, at least in the states where diesels are now sold.

Numan wrote:

It will likely cost more, which the trucking lobby will not be too happy about.
-- Mike Smith
Nothing for you or your car, but it will give the oil companies an excuse to jack up the fuel prices more!

I thought I saw a nickel a gallon at one time.
I do vaguely recall the lower sulfer fuss 15? years ago. I just had a tractor at the time. No road vehicles to worry about.

Jim B.

if anything, it's a good thing. it's basically cleaner fuel. Should not hurt your car at all and if anything your emissions will be even cleaner.
I thought sulfur was a lubricant like lead for gas. Old injection systems may not like the no sulfur. On the other hand biodiesel si supposed to have better lubrication without the sulfer.

Jim B.

Jim B.
It's already used in Europe. Such statements were used by the trucking lobby when it was reduced to it's current "low" ratings a few years back. I've used Bio in my jetta and the exhaust makes you want to go straight to the nearest McDonalds for a large fries!
JoBo
I think they must be making the low sulfur (not a lubricant) here in california already as diesel is now the most expensive thing at the pump. Does anybody know if putting in the lowest octane regular gas will work, my grandfather used to joke during the energy crises of the '70 s that he would just start putting wood chips in his diesel as they will run off anything, I imagine with electronic controls used today that would be more true. Any opinions on just pumping the cheapest thing at the station?

lobby
Gas will not run in a diesel engine without causing problems! The diesels I have seen usually run until the gas gets to the pump.

the

diesels are tolerant of a some degree of gas (more so than a gas engine tolerating diesel accidentally mixed in) but still not much. but don't even try to run your diesel on pure gas.
c'mon already...with diesel you're still saving money on the mileage. why even try to squeeze a few more pennies out of it while risking your engine and fuel system? don't try and be so cheap.

I think a diesel can do up to 30% gas?
--
snipped-for-privacy@zero.com Replace nospam with jetta to reply via e-mail

that sounds familiar. it's definitely a higher percentage compared to the other way around where a gas engine can tolerate only a tiny amount of diesel. I still wouldn't deliberately mix them...not worth it.
Diesel fuel also lubricates the injection pump - cutting the diesel with gasoline reduces the lubricity of the fuel.
So ... save a few cents by adding gas and destroy a $2,000 injection pump in the process? Doesn't sound like a wise decision to me!
Replace nospam with jetta to reply via e-mail
You got any friends who would be willing to dump 3gal of gas in their TDI to test this theory?
Replace nospam with jetta to reply via e-mail

Are you saying that a VW diesel owners manual is wrong? LOL!
The following quote is out of an 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel owners manual. It seems retarded because the ECOdiesel has a CAT and why would anyone do leaded gas with a CAT. I think this is for emergency only. However if you can only do 30%, it doesn't make sense since you would have more diesel fuel anyway unless you want to add the 3 gallons for an extra ~150 miles across the Sahara desert. :-)
" Gasoline instead of Diesel fuel
Your Diesel engine can run with up to 30% leaded or unleaded regular (not premium) gasoline mixed with Diesel fuel. With more gasoline in the fuel tank, the engine must not be started to avoid serious engine damage. In such case the fuel tank must be drained while observing all environmental and fire hazard precautions. See also WARNINGS on page 74. "
I have one better. Did I mention anything about TDI? :-)))
I don't have a TDI manual. However anyone can check the owners manual on a TDI under Fuel Supply and see if it's there.

--
snipped-for-privacy@zero.com Replace nospam with jetta to reply via e-mail
The 2003 manual says "never use home heating oil or regular gasoline"
snipped-for-privacy@zero.com (Peter Parker) wrote:

Jim B.
snipped-for-privacy@doesthisblockporkmindspring.com wrote:

What's wrong with home heating oil? Aside from possible tax issues of course.
Andreas