Fuel Injection Conversion

Hi,
I have info on converting a mini to bosch K-jetronic fuel injection, this system works a treat and is found on lots of VW, Audi, Saab,
Volvos etc. I can point you in the right direction if you are fed up with carbs and the problems normally associated with them!
Also has anyone fitted a BMW supercharger to their mini yet? I have............ sorry:-)
Anyone interested?????????
Yes Please on both counts Thanks Karl

and me too please

Count me in! dave

me aswell please
message

Me me me me me :-)
--
Bye, Ray

"miniman" wrote: > Hi, > > I have info on converting a mini to bosch K-jetronic fuel > injection, > this system works a treat and is found on lots of VW, Audi, > Saab, > Volvos etc. I can point you in the right direction if you are > fed up > with carbs and the problems normally associated with them! > > Also has anyone fitted a BMW supercharger to their mini yet? I > > have............ sorry:-) > > Anyone interested?????????
i would be very intersted i would like to convert my mg and austin healey to efi see how mini and mgs are close it may work

K-jet isn't EFI, but a mechanical constant-flow system. As such it should work well on a siamese-head engine like the A-series.
True port-injection EFI is almost impossible to get working properly on a two-port siamesed head. I (and many others) have tried it with varying success. Rover managed to get a bodged system (with really complex injection timing) to work, but it was never very wonderful.
If you want EFI to work well on the A-series, then I suggest you pay a lot of money for a 7-port crossflow head from MiniSport in a couple of months time when it is ready for sale. (It keeps a standard exhaust manifold but has a nice 4-port inlet with a built-in 40DCOE-style inlet manifold)
--
Chris Morriss

Very true Chris, the K-Jet is really a very good option for the A-series, I have run mine for 25k and had no problems with it although the standard mini gearbox doesn't really appreciate the superb torque that can be attained with it! The only problems you may find with fitting it are mounting the airflow meter (which is about the size of a diesel battery) and making the manifold, I just used two injectors on each port and that meant that virtually no fuelling adjustments were required!
Bear this in mind, the only adjustments you need on this system are: 1 Control pressure, which affects the mixture at most throttle positions
and
2 Idle mixture, which only affects idle mixture and the affects decrease towards the mid range
Seems a bit easier than an SU or weber to me but before I start that debate again, I would say that what works with some engines may not work too well with others!
let me know if you are after photos rickyomg I could probably take some of each component against a rule so you have an idea what sort of room you need in an engine bay for the conversion, mine fitted in a mini van with the drivers (uk) side inner wing removed, no need for a bonnet mod either!
"miniman" wrote: > On 2005-06-06 20:34:06 +0100, Chris Morriss
> > > In message &lt;1_596415 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com&gt;, > > rickyomg &lt; snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com&gt; writes > &nbsp;>> "miniman" wrote: > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > Hi, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > I have info on converting a mini to bosch > K-jetronic fuel > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > injection, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > this system works a treat and is found on > lots of VW, Audi, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > Saab, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > Volvos etc. I can point you in the right > direction if you are > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > fed up > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > with carbs and the problems normally > associated with them! > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > Also has anyone fitted a BMW supercharger to > their mini yet? I > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > have............ sorry:-) > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>> > Anyone interested????????? > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;>> i would be very intersted i would like to convert my > mg and austin > &nbsp;>> healey to efi see how mini and mgs are close it may > work > &nbsp;>> > > > > K-jet isn't EFI, but a mechanical constant-flow system. As > such it > > should work well on a siamese-head engine like the A-series. > > > > True port-injection EFI is almost impossible to get working > properly on > > a two-port siamesed head. I (and many others) have tried it > with > > varying success. Rover managed to get a bodged system (with > really > > complex injection timing) to work, but it was never very > wonderful. > > > > If you want EFI to work well on the A-series, then I suggest > you pay a > > lot of money for a 7-port crossflow head from MiniSport in a > couple of > > months time when it is ready for sale. (It keeps a standard > exhaust > > manifold but has a nice 4-port inlet with a built-in > 40DCOE-style inlet > > manifold) > > > Very true Chris, the K-Jet is really a very good option for > the > A-series, I have run mine for 25k and had no problems with it > although > the standard mini gearbox doesn't really appreciate the superb > torque > that can be attained with it! The only problems you may find > with > fitting it are mounting the airflow meter (which is about the > size of a > diesel battery) and making the manifold, I just used two > injectors on > each port and that meant that virtually no fuelling > adjustments were > required! > > Bear this in mind, the only adjustments you need on this > system are: > 1 Control pressure, which affects the mixture at most throttle > positions > > and > > 2 Idle mixture, which only affects idle mixture and the > affects > decrease towards the mid range > > Seems a bit easier than an SU or weber to me but before I > start that > debate again, I would say that what works with some engines > may not > work too well with others! > > > let me know if you are after photos rickyomg I could probably > take > some of each component against a rule so you have an idea what > sort of > room you need in an engine bay for the conversion, mine fitted > in a > mini van with the drivers (uk) side inner wing removed, no > need for a > bonnet mod either!
photos would be great this would give me a good start i think and i would be greatfull to gite rid of them su,s
Chris Morriss wrote:

Or you could get one from demon tweaks right now
-anthony
On 2005-06-07 19:23:58 +0100, Anthony

If money was no object!!!!!!!! my K-Jet conversion cost around 300 to do, the weber alpha and omex ecus cost more than that! You could have a look at megasquirt as it is all DIY, that is if you want to go down the efi route, All I am saying is that you don't need a laptop to set it up (K-Jetronic)and once you have played with two adjustments your fuelling is spot-on throughout the rev range(which is pretty frustrating for a rolling road operator when he can't get any more power out of your engine because the mixture is perfect), try doing that with efi using a map sensor, admitedly the systems that use mass airflow sensors are pretty nice but if you want a nice DIY option then the mechanical system is so much easier so troubleshoot! go on you know you want to........... :-)
miniman
btw : Why does no one do a mini front end that is six inches longer? I have just spent a week doing a frankenstein with two fibreglass ones, now my supercharger can fit UNDER the bonnet!

Really? I din't know the 7-port head was out yet. Is that based on the same original design from AKA racing in Denmark?
--
Chris Morriss

"Chris Morriss" wrote:
> Anthony
> >Chris Morriss wrote: > &nbsp;>> In message > &nbsp;>>&lt;1_596415 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com&gt;, > rickyomg > &nbsp;>>&lt; snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com&gt; writes > &nbsp;>> > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> "miniman" wrote: > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > Hi, > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > I have info on converting a mini to bosch > K-jetronic fuel > &nbsp;&nbsp;>>> > injection, > &nbsp;>> If you want EFI to work well on the A-series, then I > suggest you pay > &nbsp;>>a lot of money for a 7-port crossflow head from > MiniSport in a couple > &nbsp;>>months time when it is ready for sale. (It keeps a > standard exhaust > &nbsp;>>manifold but has a nice 4-port inlet with a built-in > 40DCOE-style > &nbsp;>>inlet manifold) > > > >Or you could get one from demon tweaks right now > > > > > >-anthony > > Really? I din't know the 7-port head was out yet. Is that > based on the > same original design from AKA racing in Denmark? > -- > Chris Morriss
do you think the k-jet would work on a mg 1275 engine these sus are driving me crazy

Well it worked on mine and at that time it was 1330 a+ with a piper 270/2 cam and a 12g940 mg metro head, I don't think you have much difference other than the manifolds possibly The power output was 87bhp and it had a very flat torque curve which made it possible for me to up the gearing to 3.1 and have a mini that was drivable on the motorways, it would cruise at 85-90mph and return 49mpg if driven nicely although if you thrashed it or drove it 'off' the cam it would only return 32mpg min! the so called 90bhp coopers never could touch it as they just didn't have the torque.
Although when I say it worked I mean that it did until I snapped the crank and now I am just putting the finishing touches to my engine with a BMW mini supercharger and the K-Jet, I am pretty sure it will work well as the first RS turbos had K-Jet and so did all the early saab turbos, mmm I wonder what power that will produce, never mind how long the standard gearbox will last with all that extra torque on tap! 200miles? who knows!
Chris Morriss wrote:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=A/A9900384500&GRP=MP084&PGRP=M006&CLS=MSPORT&code=A_AALUHEAD&from=search
This is the link from there website, there is no picture there but the one in the catalogue shows 4 ports on the same side of the head as the thermostat housing.
-anthony

That link takes me to the aluminium versions of the standard A-series head. Very nice, but if you want to EFI properly, you need the four inlet ports that the 7-port head provides. (Unfortunately the 7-port head is cast iron, so it's going to be heavy).
I still don't think that they've been released for sale yet. Surely someone reading this knows the situation?
--
Chris Morriss

It says "sorry no image available"
The Muffin Man