starter problems

Hi

Our 92 open classic has an intermittent starting problem. A couple of times in the last couple of days there has been no activity when the ignition is turned (fans and ignition lights etc are ok).

When the key is turned to 'start' there is no sound at all, the solenoid is not clicking (although i can hear relays). I shorted the terminals on the solenoid and it spun (or sounded like it did). After a few starts it did it again but when i returned a couple of hours later it was ok (i haven't tried it today yet).

My question: is the solenoid, starter or both suspect or perhaps the ignition switch?

Is there effective maintenance to be done at the starter/solenoid or is it time for a new one.

Any advice appreciated

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee

Well your Mini will have a pre-ingaged starter and maybe it just needs stripping down and cleaning?

About a decade or so ago that's exactly what we did on my Mini and it's been fine ever since. Apart from that what state are the electrics in? If in doubt replace the dizzy cap, rotor arm (it's electronic ignition, so no fiddly points to change thankfully!), HT Leads (use good quality silicone ones) and spark plugs. NGK BPR6ES plugs from Halfrauds are about the best you can buy and change them every 12,000 miles, then you'll have no worries!

Apart from that it's just the coil that can give trouble if it's knackered?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Oh yes and check your battery is fully charged, the battery terminals are connected tightly and it's making a good earth contact too! (I smear a bit of vaseline on the terminals to stop any rust forming and it seems to work well).

Also Make sure there's a good earth contact on the engine as well and the earth lead is attached to the top engine steady bar on the left of the engine block. Some people add another just to be sure.

But yes your starter can be stripped down and cleaned and should last years, well my 90' Mainstream Cooper is on the same original pre-engaged starter and it's gone around the clock too!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

When it does start, does it sound like the starter is turning very slowly ?

Had the same sort of thing last year on the missus 998 and put a couple of extra earth straps on, one between the body and starter, the other between the subframe and the alternator. Havn't had a problem since.

If not check the wiring and connectors between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

HTH Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi

Thanks for replies. Its pretty good generally, when it does start it spins over fast. Will give the starter an overhaul and check the tightness/cleanliness of the leads tomorrow. Will let you know how i go on.

thanks again

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee