thermostat?

Hi all -got probs with me 93 1.3i cooper (again) just serviced her the other day but previous to that i had topped up the radiator with a 50/50 mix . Anyhoo, today after a bit of a burn it appeared that the radiator had boiled over( my overflow pipe is snapped so it sprayed all over the inside - not good i know but will get to it...)steam comming in thru windscreen vents etc.. BUT the thing is my temp guage was sitting just over normal operating temp. I let her cool abit then checked level-it was pretty low.Fan is running ok and there doesnt seem to be a leak or problem with the water pump so is it likely to be the stat?If so how much would it cost to get a new one? cheers all!!

Reply to
paul s via CarKB.com

i don't think its the thermostat. If the car was not overheating and water was being still spewed out you might have a dodgy pressure cap or an incorrect one. what pressure does your cap read?

Also it might be an idea to measure the actual water temp to see if the gauge is reading correctly. to check if the thermostat works feel the top rad hose as this will get hot once the thermostat opens. however i doubt its the thermostat as the engine is not overheating.

hope this helps

Reply to
twowrunkles

Could also be the headgasket, check for cross contamination between fluids. If it happens again after you have done the stat and checked the cap, ask a garage to test for combustion gasses in the coolant.

HTH Drew.

Reply to
""drew"