Real easy to ruin engine thermostat?

I have a v-6 mitsubishi that burst a hose.

It was brought home and was smoking hot. After forty minutes of trying, I can't get any water into the block. All the engine wants to do is get hot.

Do thermostats get ruined after being subjected to high heat--no coolant situations?

Reply to
geo pearl

geo pearl wrote in news:b49b0c88-df2e-4c55-9c49- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, but head gaskets do. You've blown one or both of yours.

Reply to
Tegger

If it got hot enough to smoke the oil/grease the engine is junk. If you tried to add any coolant when it was hot then it is not even worth trying to save. The block and heads will be warped and cracked.

Reply to
Steve W.

i CAN SEE IT:

CHEAP stat, fake maybe. There are fake airbags, too.

Reply to
wws

An overheat condition may have resulted from a stuck thermostat which has failed to open and not vice-versa.

Reply to
None

A thermostat might have failed during ANY condition.

No condition or evidence whatsoever was presented or described that would render that assessment to be anything more than the most rank of amateur guesses.

Reply to
None

MAY be warped and/or cracked, but HARDLY a certainty, particularly given the dearth of pertinent information provided.

Reply to
None

Sure it can. A t-stat stuck open (or of too low a temp.) can let the water flow through the radiator too fast to sufficiently cool. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

you have your proboscis stuck up your ass again book boy - "smoking hot" and "can't get any water into the block" is the /wealth/ of information you need to know this motor is badly damaged and probably not repairable.

as for your other post on thermostat failure modes, they are not limited to being open or closed. and whether or not overheating results from being closed is again not a given. some cooling systems use a bypass flow design - like honda. thermostat failure in such a system can result in overheating because it's no longer providing closure of the bypass circuit - it's "too open" and failing to provide the closure needed on the bypass.

besides, you've missed the single most important clue of all - this guy posted on 10/4 with symptoms of head gasket failure. he's clearly been continuing to drive it in this condition, and direct combustion pressure into the cooling system is what blew his hose - thermostat is a red herring.

Reply to
jim beam

buddy, you ruined your ship for a ha'p'orth of tar. you posted before with head gasket failure symptoms, but ignored the advice given. if you'd got it fixed back then, the engine would likely have been repairable. now, it's almost certainly junk.

$150 for diagnostics vs. $3000 for a new motor... easy math for most.

Reply to
jim beam

what is failure to bother to read previous posts about the same vehicle? clue: it's not rank amateur guessing.

Reply to
jim beam

Sure it can. A t-stat stuck open (or of too low a temp.) can let the water flow through the radiator too fast to sufficiently cool. -----

- gpsman

***************

And Ford invented the automobile, Gates invented the computer, Doubleday invented baseball ... what a certified, card carrying idiot!

Reply to
None

I've heard this "no thermostat (or one stuck open) can make your engine overheat" thing before, but the one and only time it ever happened to me, it just meant that the engine never warmed up and it was a cold, cold trip back to Detroit (where I promptly got it fixed.)

Of course this was in the wintertime, not summer. Had it been summer, who knows if I would have even noticed the issue?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

except if the engine uses the bypass coolant circuit principle, not the full flow principle. most old fashioned engines are full flow. honda is bypass which means the coolant circuit is always circulating through the block [which means no hot spots like a rear cylinder and reduced cavitation in the pump] and cooling is achieved by introducing measured amounts of lower temperature coolant into the circuit. if the thermostat valve spring fails, it can lead to the bypass circuit operating without any coolant from the radiator flowing, even though the thermostat element might still be working and opening.

there may be others using the bypass principle, but clearly you're not going to be the one that bothers to enlighten us because you have your thesaurus crammed too far up your ass to be able to see your browser's "google search" button.

Reply to
jim beam

you're right, but in the context of the op's previous post history and denial, the likelihood is very much of the guy running this thing until the smoke was the "magic" kind, not the steamy kind.

Reply to
jim beam

So, is the water pump any good? Is the block plugged?

Possibly, but it's easy enough to unbolt it and remove it and see if there is cooling without it in place. It's really the most unlikely failure, though.

I strongly suspect your "replace engine" light is illuminated now, but I might be wrong. You'll know it when you pull the heads and see how bad the damage is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If you could begin to believe that "old backyard mechanic's tale" then you've likely forgotten every engineering principle you ever learned.

Reply to
None

"None" wrote in news:k620aa$t78$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Pegged!

Reply to
Tegger

Not in any car I've ever run without a T-stat. Always made it run cooler. Got an example?

Reply to
Vic Smith

"Smoking hot" is meaningless. A hose burst and there's antifreeze everywhere smoking off. Same with "can't get any water in the block." Total nonsense. This guy never answered any questions he was asked. Probably just trolling.

Reply to
Vic Smith