1990 Eclipse - Engine Light On

Any good way a shade tree mechanic can find out what causes this light to go on? Oil pressure, temp, alternator gauges all OK. Oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake, PS, etc. all OK. No weird sounds. Fans operate properly.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Get an anlalog meter and read the error code from the diagnostic port. Long pulse = 10, short pulse = 1. You probably have multiple codes. At a guess its going to be O2 sensor, EGR or MAP sensor.

For a 1990, most of this is likely caused by worn valve guides, valve stem seals and rings adding excess hydocarbons to the exhaust.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks, Stewart. Where can I find out what codes mean what?

causes

diagnostic port. Long

codes. At a guess

guides, valve stem

Reply to
Fred

or just ask here...

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks again.... More stupid questions ...

Where is the diagnostic port? Am I checking for 12VDC signals?

what?

Reply to
Fred

This site gives instructions on making an LED code reader. If you don't want to build this, just replace the LED and resistor with a DC voltmeter that reads above 12 volts DC. The black wire goes to ground and the read lead goes to pin one (1)

The hook up instructions are here as are the error codes and how to read them.

nirodac

That's great! Thanks!!

If you don't

a DC voltmeter