1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I bought a '91 Mitsubishi Eclipse a few months ago. A few weeks after I purchased the car I was driving and there was a clunk sound and the transmission went out. I couldn't shift into anything even though the car was still running. The transmission had been flushed two or three days before this happened. My car is now sitting in my driveway and I don't know what is wrong with it. If anyone has any information on what the problem could be or a solution could you write back and share your knowledge. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
kennethwcampbell

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ha scritto:

hi, is it manual or automatic tranny? and, what engine do you have?

see you andrea

Reply to
Andrea

I assume this is an automatic as you mention flushing, a tem rarely used with a manual trans. Several issues come to mind:

- Possibly the wrong type of fluid was used.

- Trans fluid level may be low, or the shop that did the flushing left something loose and the filud leaked out. There's a trans dipstick on the side of the trans (like the engine dipstick only bigger). The fluid should be reddish. If it smells like burned toast, its overheated, for a reason to be investigated.

- the transmission computer connections on the trans have come adrift.

- the torque converter may have failed.

The most common type of auto trans failure is it locks into 2nd gear, also known as limp-home mode. Its less common for the no gear select operation you describe, and is either the trans oil pump failed (or very low fluid level), or a torque converter failure.

- get the car towed to a local shop that has experience with Mitsubishi transmissions and get it evaluated. Worst case is that the trans is dead. If so, your options are

- try to locate a working trans from a wrecker.

- get the trans repaired. Be sitting down when you get the quote.

If you have a manual trans, check the clutch slave cylinder for leaks.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS