1994 Eagle Talon DL control arm

1.8 L front wheel drive. Just failed annual inspection for tieron and ball joint. I can replace the tie rod but question about the ball joint. Haynes manual says the ball joint is not replaceable - have to change the whole control arm. Is this true. Can I change the ball joint by myself (somewhat handy with tools - I replace a front wheel bearing with tools I have at the house). Any assistance/hints would be appreciated.
Reply to
Lurker

I'm in the unfortunate position of being home, with all my repair manuals, parts/labor guides, etc, at my shop ~ hopefully someone else can answer directly....

I run across this frequently (on many different cars) when trying to write an estimate. Calling one or more parts suppliers, including but not limited to dealers, usually answers this question ~ they'll open the box, and say "yup, sure looks like a ball joint" or "bad news ~ the box is 14 inches long, and costs $125".......

If the ball joint is available bare, you'll need at the least a "C" type screw press to do the job on-the-car ~ without a way to press the joint, you may end up removing the control arm anyway.

Don't forget to double-check the inspector's diagnosis ~ in my area, they tend to be a little "hungry" for business.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

Thanks for the quick reply. I will buy the ball joint. Will take it apart (maybe this weekend) and C-clamp (or something like that) - maybe even take it off the car if it gets tough.

I did get to see it while it was on the lift and yes it's a little too shaky to drive (hey, my wife's life insurance is paid up and it's her car????).

Will let you know how it goes. GREAT GROUP!.

Reply to
Lurker

OOH, with a C clamp, floor jack and hammer I was able to change the lower ball joint (control arm still on the car). Thanks for giving me the gumption. It took about 1.5 hours but I have more time than money! Toughest part was getting the snap ring on without outside snapring pliers (left mine at work).

Reply to
Lurker

Lemme guess ~ an ice pick and three screwdrivers..... Similar problem when you break the tip off the tool ~ that's why they're called "snap" rings.... Glad to know you succeeded.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney