1995 mirage hates rain

Hi,

I have a very little knowledge about cars (I do know how to drive though :)), so please help me with this problem.

I own a 1995 mitsubishi mirage -- 150K miles, manual transmission. Over the last few months, my car seems to have developed an allergy to dampness which seems to be getting worse. Whenever it rains, it has problem starting. The engine turns over, but won't start. When it does start after quite a few tries, it sputters and dies at low rpm. Although after the car has warmed up, it starts and runs fine. Sunny days are fine too, without even the slightest indication of any problem.

Any guesses?

TIA

P Adhia

Reply to
P Adhia

I'd speculate that it is likely an electrical problem. Ignition related or possibly a crank or cam sensor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You need to change your plug cables and the distributer cap . Try this . Wait until you have a dry day start the engine,then spray a little salt water (use a kitchen spray) over the plug cables /dist cap ,If the car starts spluttering then you have found the fault. After 150 k My guess is they are leaking high tension .

Reply to
jonny

Start with thoroughly cleaning the dirt and grease off the plug leads and distributor cap, including the inside if you can get at it, with WD40. If this doesn't help, replace the plug leads.

If it still stutters, replace the distributor cap.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS