4G61 throttle position sensor

Following on from my earlier thread, I'm getting the "Check Engine" light coming on, and code 14 from the diagnostic port.

The car is an Australian Lancer GSR, 1600 DOHC 4G61 engine, built in 1991.

I got to drive this car for an hour or so today, and that seemed to confirm the TPS diagnosis. The "Check Engine" almost always came on under heavy engine braking, and sometimes flashed on for several seconds under light to moderate throttle as well. Each time the light came on, I could extinguish it immediately by pushing the throttle pedal down, even if only momentarily.

To my mind, this responsiveness to actual throttle position rules out a faulty external TPS connection.

Are these electromechanical devices (such as a simple rheostat) that might be able to be cleaned and put back into service?

Any other sensible advice or suggestions welcome.

John

Reply to
John Henderson