88 2.0 liter Idler Pulley Failure

I'm fooling with my neighbor's 1988 Ram 50 with the 2.0 liter Mitsubishi engine. Upon removing the timing belt cover, ball bearings fell over the floor. There are 2 belts under there. The main timing belt and pulleys are ok. There is a smaller toothed belt between the crank and what I assume is the oil pump. The idler pulley between them is what is toast.

Now, if this second belt runs the oil pump like I think, why is there a timing mark on the sprocket? This is what's leading me to think it might not be the oil pump. If not, what is it, and how critical is the mark? Is there probable damage if the the motor was running (it was) with a completely disintegrated idler pulley?

Thanks a bunch, all.

Reply to
Scott

I'm pretty sure that engine has balance shafts. Usually one balance shaft is driven through the same shaft as the oil pump.

Reply to
Richie Rich

If that's a 4 cylinder, it has a balance shaft. That counter rotates to get rid of engine vibration. Try looking at:

The engine is probably similar, if not another version of the 4G63.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Yes, you have the 2.0L 4G63 SOHC 8V engine. On all 4G60 series engines, the cam belt, balance shaft belt AND the position of the oil pump sprocket are all interelated. In particular, getting the oil pump sprocket misaligned will cause a rough running engine.

Replace the water pump while all the bits are off.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

The sticker says G63B engine; sounds like y'all know all the numbers. So, here's a quiz: the parts guy at Dodge has his head up his ..., so I actually searched for him and found a MD128765 Tensioner. I figured as you guys are throwing all the correct numbers around so you could perhaps confirm this is the right part. My searches on the web have been somewhat confirming, but somewhat ambiguous.

Thanks again.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

G63B or 4G63 ... same engine family. This is the same engine as fitted to the 88-92 Eagle Vista wagon. Once you have a part number from Dodge / Chrysler, take it to your local Mitsubishi dealer for a much better price. Check with your local auto parts store too.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Richie Rich

That's a Mitsu part number. I have caps, but I doubt your VIN will run. If you had the exact engine version, I could pull the part number. All 4g63s are similar, but not identical....certainly not equal.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Sorry, that's all I have off the sticker. G63B engine in a 1988 Dodge Ram

  1. Thanks anyway. I'll check the part when it comes in, although the old one is in pieces.

Thanks all; I think I'm all set for when the part comes in.

Scott

Reply to
Scott