89 Eclipse adjustment

A friend has one of those cars with the 1.5L engine and manual transmission. We recently finished rebuilding the engine and started the car. It works but we need to adjust the idle. Problem is we only have the Haynes manual and it refers to a label on the hood, but there are none. So, would anyone know the procedure to adjust the idle in that beast and what should the value be?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

The Eclipse never came with a 1.5L engine. It did come with the 1.8L 4G37 SOHC 8v in the base model.

On the top of the throttle body there's a 10mm black cover under which is the idle speed adjust screw. Externally there's another adust screw, but this is just the butterfly stop adjustor. If you fiddled with this you have to make sure the butterfly is fully closed and reset the adjust screw.

With the engine warm, adjust idle speed adjust screw for about 800 rpm. You are supposed also to ground the wire in the brown/tan floating connector on the firewall near the throttle body, but this seems to not have any real effect. Disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (ie reset the ECU) before adjusting idle speed seems to have the same effect.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I meant the Mirage. My fingers have their own thoughts sometimes. =)

Would that also work for the Mirage? If so, we'll try it out and post the results. Thanks!

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Yes.

Reply to