'94 Eclipse 4G63 Lash Adjusters

The engine is actually a '92 6-bolt, a JDM special that had only 43000 miles (who knows) that I have rebuilt. During reassembly of the head I put each of the last adjusters in 3-in-1 oil and pumped them until cleaned. Now with the engine reassembled I have no compression, and I'm thinking it's because the lash adjusters are at their maximum height. How do I bleed them down without removing them?

TIA! Gyz

Reply to
Me

Cranking the engine with the plugs out for about 30 seconds will pressurise the adjustors. But I don't think that is your problem.

Are you certain that you put the intake cam on the intake side of the head?

Are you certain that you have the balance and cam belts properly aligned? Its possible to have the cam belt off by a few teeth and have no compression.

Its also possible to install the belt wrong enough so that when you crank the engine over, you end up bending the inlet valves. Look at the intake valve train: all the lash adjusters should be hard against the rockers, and there should be NO or very minimal clearance between the rocker and the cam lobes. If you have, say, 1mm or more clearance, you've installed the cam belt wrong and bent your inlet valves. You may have also cracked the ends of the inlet valve guides.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I think the problem is valve stem height. I pulled the head and can see light around the exhaust valves. Thankfully none appear to be bent. I had the head ported and 1mm oversize valves installed. I did not have the cams at the time (HKS 264) so the machine shop had no way to check the head with the cams. Every thing else they did that I checked was perfect. The one thing I did not check was not. :(

Gyz

Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Reply to
Gyzmologist