93 Eclipse alt problems? -Help-

Alright, I have a 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 16v DOHC (automatic) and whenever I go into reverse, the car stutters and it feels like its about to stall but doesnt, for a few seconds and drops to about 400-500 RPM's. Is this normal or is there a problem with my alternator or something else? On the same token, I've also noticed that my headlights, dome lights, and guage lights all dim whenever I raise/lower the windows, is this a problem with the alternator as well? I have just replaced the battery about 2 months ago so that's not the problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
FeaRx

You seem fixed on something being wrong with your alternator. I would suggest something is wrong with your idle speed settings. It should idle about 750 RPM. At that RPM the alternator can put out enough juice to feed all the circuits (when mine drops to ~ 600 my headlights dim when I turn on the blower motor). The adjustment procedure for setting the idle speed is in the Haynes or Chilton manual. Try that first. It should fix your reverse almost-stall problem.

Reply to
Lurker

Clean the throttle body and make sure the air filter and PCV have been changed recently. How long has it been since it was last tuned?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yeah, I am fixed on the alternator being the problem because when I tried to install a subwoofer/amp, the car would stall everytime I came to a stop. My friend suggested it was either a battery or alt problem, but to be honest, I dont think he knows what hes talking bout. Anywho, I will try the adjustment for the idle speed, thanks for the info. If you have anymore suggestions please let me know.

Reply to
Carl

You are right, he does not know what he's talking about. When you try and drag a lot of current from a battery (the sub woofer amp) the alternator tries to compensate by increasing its current output. The greater the current output, the greater the mechanical load that is transferred to the alternator belt. If the belt is loose, it slips and squeals, otherwise the engine slows down. At idle speed, this can cause the engine to stall.

Idle speed adjustment is on the TOP of throttle body, under a 10mm round black cap. Its absolutely NOT the exposed throttle stop screw on the rear of the throttle body: don't monkey with this.

The adjustment should take you all of 30 seconds.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

ahh, thank you for clearing that up, I appreciate it. I'll try the adjustment and see whats up. Thanks again.

Reply to
Carl