97 eclipse spyder turbo convertable

I am looking at buying this car but I'm a little scared of the high mileage - 168,000. I've heard this engine can last past 200k. Any thoughts? I drive 32 miles round trip to work each day (about 8,400 miles yearly). How long do you think that this car will hold up? What about the roof leaking? It's a convertible and I live in the northeast where there is snow, rain, sleet. Also, what do you think a fair price would be?

Reply to
clouseau

Great project car but if you are looking for a reliable daily driver, run away.

There is a saying in the DSM groups "DSM's, making ordinary people into mechanics since 1989." My DSM's have made me damn close to an expert!

This car has a huge problem with crankshaft thrust bearing failures. At

168,000 it looks like a good motor but still nothing I would recommend to someone who wasn't prepared to wrench.

simpleton