'98 Galant (2.4L) crank pulleys...question

I've had this squealing upon startup for awhile now. I decided to try to tighten the belts to see if it would help. When I started the engine after tightening the belts I heard a noise. I immediately shut it down and took a look. The alternator belt was off the pulleys. This seemed strange, since I had it real tight. Upon further inspection I noticed the crank pulley was real loose. If it weren't for the fact that the pulley was hitting the frame, I could have removed it by hand. How in the world do these things work?? There appears to be a bushing of some sort between the pulley and the inner piece (harmonic balancer??). It looks like the pulley could just spin on this bushing. I don't see any kind of keyway or anything. The center crank bolt and the 4 surrounding bolts are all tight. What's the fix?????

Reply to
Ken Aman

Yes, and yours has separated. Not uncommon problem. Get a new pulley.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS