A matter of timing

1991 Laser, 1.8 litre, 240,000 Km, 120,000 Km since last belt change (aftermarket belt).

Doing a timing belt change (and water pump, and tensioner pulleys). Before removing the old belts, I tried to align all the timing marks. I can get all the marks to line up (on both belts) except the crankshaft sprocket. This sprocket is out (behind) all the other marks by about one tooth.

Two questions?

  1. Is this normal for a belt of this usage, or was the last installation wrong.
  2. There are two marks on the crank sprocket, one is a spring roll pin, inserted into the sprocket near the outer edge, this is the one that is one tooth from the fixed timing mark, the other is a small half round notch closer to the center of the sprocket, on a lip, but is about 6 teeth from the fixed timing mark when all the other marks line up. I'm going with the split spring roll pin, unless I hear other wise. No matter how often I tried, I could not get the half round mark to line up with anything else.

The car ran perfectly before the timing belt change. This is just a routine belt change and was only started because the old belt was past due for a change.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Nirodac Yar