Auto Trans: Has she killed it????

Hi,

I hope someone can give me some information. My wife was driving her 96 Magna Altera when she heard a noise in Drive so she put it back to 3rd and that was fine for a little while until the car would just not drive any more. She has now informed me that the gears were jerking between changes and that the D would not engage when the car was cold but by putting it in 3rd the car drove the same including going through the gears. she would then move it into Drive when it had heated up.

I just went and checked out the car (on the side of the road) and no gears including reverse would engage. When it was in drive it would lunge forward but would not drive.

Is there any possible reason (fingers crossed) that this could have happened beside the expensive outcome that the Trans has died?

Thank you for any assistance Good or Bad

Reply to
Scott and Cynthia

It MIGHT be the transmission computer. There's various connections on the trans that can become poor. However, since the it won't select drive at all, I'd guess either a) there's low or no transmission fluid (and the tran$ doe$ not like thi$ at all). If you can locate the trans dip stick, check the level. It should be pinkish, and definitely should NOT smell like burned coffee/toast. If the level is down, topping up with the CORRECT type of fluid may restore temporary operation, and if it does, get it to a repair shop for a check out. or b) there's a major internal fault, and you need to get the trans fixed.

Whatever the problem, its likely to be expensive. Are you ready to re-mortgage your house?

Good luck!

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS