Car just dying on me

Hi,

I drive a 1996 UK spec Galant 2.0i V6 24V.

It's normally a beautiful runner but over the last couple of days it has developed a problem. It is still driving really well but when I pull up at a junction or set of traffic lights the revs will fall and just keep on falling until the engine cuts out. This happens everytime I pull up.

I'm taking it to the local garage tomorrow to see if they can rectify the problem and would like some advice so I can expect what they are going to say and won't get any shocks.

Regards,

Sonars_uk

Reply to
Sonars_UK

Sounds like the idle speed controller (ISC). This part is a little stepper motor that controls the amount of air bypassing the closed throttle plate. It's not a cheap part, but the labor (or as you'd spell it, labour) is nothing. Only two bolts and 5 minutes of work.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

That will be 600 quid labour then?.

Reply to
g.caffrey5

Try about ~150 pounds for the part and you'd probably have to pay for 1 hr labour at their rate. You could save the money and get the part yourself from a discounter. If it's like most Mitsus, the part is common to a lot of different models. I know the 3K/GT (GTO over there) has the same ISC as the Eclipse. The part number is different, and so are the prices, but they are the same. I just put a Eclipse ISC in my GT.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

After all that it was a loose air pipe!

The mechanic spotted it, road tested it and charged me nothing!

Regards,

Sonars UK

Reply to
Sonars_UK

Wow. That was lucky and cheap. That should have caused really bad gas mileage and a lot of jerking when moving.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know