car starts and stalls

hi my galant keeps stalling. it will start after 4 or 5 tries will go a little ways and just stall. it is at a repair shop right now and they do not know whats wrong with it. about 2 months ago it was running rough when i was going 20 to 40 mph. the higher the speed the better it ran. also there has been a lot of squealing which i believe is a belt. help!!

Reply to
sput57

Squealing is commonly an alternator or steering pump belt.

Start by getting any error codes from the ECU.

Rough running can be many things, such as

- dirty injectors

- timing is off.

- distributor advance is not functioning, or the spark waveform is degraded.

- plug leads need replacing.

- fuel filter is clogged.

- MPI relay is flakey

- ECU is flakey eg leaking capacitors on some older models

Tell us the year and odometer reading.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

hi, its a 95 galant. it has 155.000 miles. it has been in the repair shop for 2 days now. the mechanic is checking all possibilities. maybe im wrong but seems a good mechanic would know more, like you all. thanks

Reply to
sput57

I'm having just about the same problem with my 90 eclipse. It starts but dies on pulling off, when in reverse and coming to stops. If I adjust the idle screw it will correct for about a week. Timing belts have been redone & re-checked. It seems like the colder weather (below 65 degrees in New Orleans area) helps it to run OK longer. Car has over 170K miles. Help!

Reply to
eclipse90HM

eclipse90HM ha scritto:

Check idle speed control and throttle position sensors, first. And, clean off carbon from throttle body.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea