Click but wont turn-battery charged

Last night I drove my car into the garage no problem woke up this morning tried to start the car and all it did was give one loud click like the hammer on a gun hitting. The horn, headlights, and dash lights were operational. Came home from work charged the batter for 3 hours and tried again. This time I noticed all lights worked but the electrical window motors clicked when activated but would not roll down. I when turning the key you hear a click from the fuse box area as well as a click by the radiator??? Any ideas what this could be?

Reply to
sportmarty

oops I forgot to let you all know it is a 2001 galant ES-6

Reply to
sportmarty

Check the ground on the starter, battery, and alternator. Start with the battery, then alternator, then starter. If the battery terminals are corroded, use some baking soda and water on them for a quick clean up. Then brush them. If the battery was completely discharged, it may not come back and will need to be replaced. If you have another car lying around, just swap the battery for a quick verification of the problem.

The alternator ground is not a likely problem, but sometimes does symptoms like this. It isn't very hard to check it and can be easiely eliminated. The starter, on the other hand, usually isn't easy to get too. I don't know the engine layout for that car, but it is probably under the intake and a lot of other crap as it is on the transmission. The ground strap is hard to get too, but if it is loose it will have the same effect you are describing. I've done many a clutch job to have this little problem bite me.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Todd's recommendations are absolutely right on. If these all are good, it is most likely a bad solenoid contact. Sometimes you can verify the solenoid is bad by tapping gently on the solenoid or start assembly from below while someone is turning the ignition key. If it starts right up upon a tap, then you have confirmed that the solenoid plunger contacts are dirty or worn away and need to be replaced.

I am not familiar with the starter/contacts on the Gallant, but have replaced many in Nipondenso starters as they have a known proficiency to wear out every 5-8 years based on usage. There are sights on the web that will sell you just the contacts for these, but you need to know the right ones as there are 4 basic shapes. Do a Google search to find them and one sight I have visited shows nice pictures to allow you to order the right ones. That sight sold them for $10 a pair. That beats the $200 or more they wanted for a rebuilt starter and in every case (5-6 Chrysler & Nissan vehicles) its fixed the problem for me.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks to both of you I have got my car back on the road. It was a faulty battery. I charged the car overnight and this morning it was still on the fritz. I jumped the car with a My Astro van after cleaning the terminals with baking soda and water and it started. I let it run for a while and then shut it off and bam dead again. took the battery out (even though it showed green in the indicator circle) and took it to kragens where they told me I only had 7.8 volts and time to replace.

thanks

Reply to
sportmarty