clicking in 98 montero sport engine

I've got a 98 Montero Sport with 126,000 miles. Just began clicking in the engine compartment. I've noticed that it gets higher/lower depending on rpm's. Also, a little puff of white smoke from muffler upon leaving idle.

Any ideas? Could it be a oil pump? If so, what kind $$ am i looking at?

Reply to
mccall

I assume you have self lubing tappets ( hydraulic), i would remove the rocker cover and check the tappets for any sign of blockage, as a clicking noise could be a sign of a blocked tappet. Fords had the same problem years ago. A good way to fix, is remove the entire rocker gear. strip down and inspect, clear any blockages, and refit and re assemble. One way it is caused is not changing oil on a regular basis or using different oils. In time it clocks thew small oil avenues and thuis causes the tappet to knock. Pretty simple job if you have good tools and patience.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

It is the lifters, but I would just change the oil first. Very common in Mitsus. One way to tell if you need to change the oil .

Reply to
Nobody U. Know