Eclipse Bottoming Out

On a cold day, the back end bottoms out. Never happens on a hot day, so I'm guessing it's the struts. Cost to replace them is astronomical

- more than the value of the car! Is there any other way to stop the bottoming out other than replaced them? What about putting spacers in the springs?

I'm also wondering if it's practical to tap into the struts and re-pressurize them?

Reply to
Guv Bob

[...]

I've always found the adjustable spacers work ok on most things. you can raise the height and it also removes 1 section of spring increasing the spring rate accordingly.

Probably not a safe or sensible method, esp. if the seals have gone already.

I don't know what type of struts you have, maybe you can get a cheap set of gas dampers to fit as a replacement. eg Toyota Hilux Surf has 2 stage electronic damping but you can get aftermarket KYB's cheaply.

1974 Mercedes 280 had a hydraulic pump for self leveling but again cheaper dampers were available.

HTH Mitch

Reply to
Terminal Crazy

"Terminal Crazy" wrote in message news:53f882aab2Terminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk...

astronomical -

terminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk

Thanks Mitch! Installing spacers sounds like the thing to try first. The struts aren't complete flat yet. I notice it bottoms out in cold weather with only a chubby driver (me), but in warm weather it will not bottom out with chubby and the lovely miseries Bob.

Reply to
Guv Bob