Skyjacker 2" lift installation..

My 2" for the 89 XJ should be here any day. It's got rear add-a-leafs, hydro shocks all the way around, front sway bar bushings, steering stabilizer, front coil spacers, sway bar disconnects, and a couple other little things.

Is it safe to lift the rear one day, install the sway bar bushings and steering stabilizer the next day, and then finish the following day with the front spacers and disconnects? I'll be driving approximately 40 miles a day (round trip) to work. I do plan to get an alignment shortly after finishing the lift.

How long should everything take a beginner to install? I've done struts/springs on cars before, but never an add-a-leaf. I'm pretty sure I'll need to rent a spring compressor for the front spacer installation... any special tools or things to look out for overall?

Where can I get new coil spring isolators?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Hey Carl, First off, it's not a big deal to do the rear, drive it and then do the front. You may want to arrange alternate transportation in advance however. It never fails, if you NEED the vehicle, something will prevent you from completing the task in time. Count on breaking upper rear shock bolts. I would recommend new u-bolts. The rear should take about 3-4 hours if nothing goes wrong (doubt it). The front should be fairly easy but time consuming, maybe 3-4 hours as well. Be sure to relocate your hard brake lines in the front. You can straighten them out carefully and drill/tap a new hole for the hold down. To remove the front springs, use a McPherson Strut spring compressor. These hold the spring from the outside, regular coil spring compressors go on the inside. Most places have free loan-a-tool programs when you leave a deposit. Don't worry about new isolators unless yours are torn.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd