ecm question

will the ecm in a 94 eagle talon 1.8 n/t wirh ditributer work with a 97 galont 2.0 dohc inline 4 n/t motor that is coil pack if i change the motor wireing harness if not will the ecm out of the galont go into my car without having to change the whole harness

Reply to
scott

It absolutely will not work. ECM's are engine specific, and in some cases car specific (calculations to adjust for weight, exhaust paths, etc...).

Now the question is, why would you even want to try it? Spend the money and get a new ECU, or find a junkyard model if you are strapped for cash.

Regards, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

so if i take the ecm out of the galont it will plug into my car all i have to do is change the motor wireing harness

Reply to
scott

I don't understand the question. You asked if you could remove an ECM from a 1994 Eagle Talon which sported a 1.8L engine and use it in a

1997 Galant which sported a 2.0L engine. My answer to that is "no". Like I said before, you must match the ECM to the engine and sometimes to the car as well.

Please be more specific in your question and I'll see what I can do to give you a better answer.

Regards, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

Reply to
scott

Ok, now you've got me totally confuzzled (confused and puzzled). Do you mean you want to transplant the whole engine? If so, I believe it can be done, you may have to do some body work to the engine compartment and you may have to weld on whole new motor mounts to take the new engine.

If you mean you want to pull the ECM out of the galont and put it in the Talon, the answer is still no. I repeat, you need to match the ECM to the engine. An ECM for a 2.0L engine *can not* be used to control a 1.8 engine. All the fuel and spark calculations would be way off. And assuming you car would even start with the "frankensteined" ECM, the check engine light would be perpetually on.

So please, explain EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

Regards, CMF

scott wrote:

Reply to
Chris Ferris

Well, he wants to replace the 1.8 4G37 with 2.0 4G63. In theory its simple enough, but in practice its quite a bit or work, as there's a lot of details to cover, and its best to have access to the donor car. There's also little point in replacing the 1.8 4G37 with 2.0 4G63 (if performance is the aim), unless its the turbo version, and its really a whole lot less work and $$$ to just buy a turbo model to start with.

Unless you want the challenge of the project. Last year I Talonized a 93 Eagle Summit, replacing the 1.5L 87hp 4G15 with 2.0L 135hp 4G63 DOHC. Its not particularly hard to do, and most of the parts just bolt on. See my web site.

Next (and more complex) phase of the project is replace the 4G63 with a

195hp 4G63T, which requires some cutting of the body shell (for the intercooler and oil cooler), shifting the battery, various bracket fabrication and some additional wiring from the engine.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

yes i do wanna yank the 1.8 out and put the 2.0 in i do have access to a donor car so i have all the parts i need. Now that i know ive gotta change the ecm..... seeing how some of the talons come stock with a 2.0 it should just drop right in i mean all the mounts are in the same place i just wanna know what all i would have to change?

Reply to
scott

Engine plus top mount and roll stopper brackets Air filter + pipes front exhaust pipe emmissions parts Various cut and join wiring for the engine sensors and othre electrics. The ECU is the same type but NOT the same model. Some additional wiring may be necessary. Get yourself a workshop manual: you;ll need it. Identify all the electrical differences, and make a check list. PLAN it all before you start taking stuff out and cutting.

radiator (maybe), hoses definitely.

power steering hoses, rack if its the non-assisted model.

Time: remove old engine, fit new one: about 6 hours Do all the other detail stuff: about 10 hours

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS