Fuel Door Wont Open

I have a '98 Eclipse and the lever to the left of the driver's seat that typically opens the fuel door suddenly stopped working. Is there another way to release it?

Reply to
GretchenTS

Being a Mitsubishi you have to expect this kind of trouble.

Get a small jimmy bar and place it on the lip of the fuel filler flap and pry it using the body as the fulcrum. You will probably damage the body slightly doing this, but at least you will be able to put fuel into it.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Have someone pull on lever while someone else is tapping and or pushing on fuel door. As long as lever is pulling cable it just needs to spring back. After you get it open, spray some wd-40 on spring plunger inside fuel door. Don't use prybar. You can also use a small slim jim to slide around fuel door to unlock if everything else fails. Later, snipped-for-privacy@kc.rr.com

Reply to
Brian Sigourney

Is it not releasing or is it not springing open after release? On my daughter's '00 Mirage there is a little spring thing that disappeared. Replacing it was the cure. Got a replacement at the dealer.

Reply to
NickySantoro

There is usually a secondary release method. On many cars there is a release handle in the trunk area. Check your Owner's Manual if you have it, or call a dealer. Unlike Mr. Bat Grunt, many internet users do post helpful information.

Gyz

GretchenTS wrote:

Reply to
Gyzmologist

You may be able to accezz the catch from inzide the boot - remove the panel right behind the filler pipe/door

David - who had the NRMA guy do that > I have a '98 Eclipse and the lever to the left of the driver's seat

Reply to
quietguy