Galant Timing Belt Installation

Hi All:

I need your help.

I have had the main dealer do the timing twice but the engine is still harsh, (see my posting: Car seems harsher after replacing Crankshaft Pulley) . I have now bought a copy of the Mitsubishi Workshop Manual for my 1997 Galant 2.0 SOHC, 4G6

In the Mitsubishi Workshop manual the instructions for installing the Timing Belt Installation it states:

  1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, and oil pump sprocket.

  1. After aligning the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips screwdriver with a diameter of 8 mm, and check to be sure that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm or more. If the screwdriver will only go in 20 - 25 mm before striking the counterbalance shaft, turn the sprocket once, realign the timing mark and check that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm or more.

If what I believe to be the CYLINDER BLOCK PLUG is correct, then this plug has NEVER been removed. The plug is covered with white powdery oxidation and there are no witness marks that this has had a spanner, (wrench), on it.

Before I make a complete idiot of myself by spouting off, I wondered if anyone out there could describe to me where this plug is located, so that I can be sure of what I am saying.

Thanks:

John snipped-for-privacy@dial.pipex.com

Reply to
John Lewis

It's on the back of the cylinder head. However, you don't have to remove it to check it. Read:

Nobody U. Know

Hi:

No its definitely on the block not the head. My engine is SOHC. I rang the importers this morning and they confirmed that the plug was in the position I thought it was.

Their Workshop foreman told me that he can feel the correct position and never takes the plug out but did add that he had many years of experience. He agreed from my description that the balance shaft was probably 180 degrees out

Regards

John >It's on the back of the cylinder head. However, you don't have to remove it

Reply to
John Lewis

Sorry for delay in reply ~ my shop is busy this week. I have a very good timing belt manual in front of me, with no time to send a pic this morning.

You are on the right track with the oil pump shaft position ~ it's been some time, so I had "balance shaft" i.e. the shorter belt on my mind. The oil pump shaft has a second balance shaft, and I've done at least 2 corrections on customers' cars where this shaft wasn't aligned using the 8mm rod ~ the engine in each case was vibrating badly.

The foreman who says he can "feel" the right position must be psychic, or full of poodlepoop ~ without access to the hole in the shaft, it rotates smoothly without any indication as to balance shaft position.

The plug should be obvious as to location; looking at the engine from the side with the belts, the oil pump shaft is on the lower right, and the plug is roughly in line with the shaft, several inches back on the side of the block ~ it may be slightly above the shaft, with the 8mm rod aiming slightly down as it slides in (not sure).

For checking alignment only, the crank can be turned slowly until the rod drops in the required distance ~ with the timing cover off, the marks should be on their index. If you find them incorrect, THEN the tensioner, belt, etc need to be redone.

I can TRY to send a pic tonight (Fri) if it will help. DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

He may be referring to this trick:

"NOTE that there is an easier way to do this. Simply rotate the mark on the oil pump sprocket until it is pointing straight up, and let it go. If the sprocket rotates towards (counterclockwise) the timing mark on the engine, the oil pump sprocket is aligned correctly. If it rotates away (clockwise) from the mark, spin the sprocket a full turn and test again, and it should properly rotate towards the mark now. Now line the mark on the sprocket back up with the mark on the engine. This avoids having to remove the rear access bolt entirely. "

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Engines I've worked on have had shafts a little too viscous ~ I haven't noticed that phenomenon.

I have a few jpegs, finally....let me know if they'll help. If you want them, send an email to my listed address, after removing the "nomail." I assume your address in this group is bogus, and I don't want to send a binary to a text group.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney