roof rack for 2003 Outlander

We just purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander. It has 2 rails (tubes?) along the roof sides. It's the first time I see this type of roof rack. Previously we had adjustable side bars. My guess I need some kind of side bars or basket that will fit the existing bars. I was told that only Mitsubishi carries parts that will fit. My questions to the group are:

1) what exactly is needed (side bars, basket, something else) for the roof rack to work, and 2) is Mitsubishi dealer the only place to purchase it, or are 3rd party parts available as well (Thule f.ex.)?
Reply to
Sharkie

If I remember correctly the Yakima Lowrider towers and bars are the Mitsu OEM towers and bars. Lots of Yakima stuff on Ebay.

Reply to
Outlander

According to the Yakima website, the 'Lowrider' mount is compatible with the rails on a 2003 Outlander. It consists of 4 clamps and 2 crossbars that mount to the rails and form a platform to mount baskets, bike mounts, ski mounts and other accessories. Good luck.

Bob Walker

Reply to
Bob Walker