how much trans fluid does an 02 lancer hold?

I had my automatic trans fluid changed at Cottman and he charged me for 14 quarts. My manual says the capacity is 8 but he says it's about

14 for a flush. I believe the entire system holds 8. Anyone know? Thanks, ron
Reply to
rjv494

I do not know the answer to your question, but suspect 8 may be indeed correct. Power flushing is something that makes the dealers a lot of money with less labor since they use MORE fluid to assure they get the majority out. Power flushing also does not get the debris trapped on the bottom of the pan and in the old clogged filter. You really need to drop and fully clean the pan and replace that filter. The drawback is that this will not get all the fluid, but if you really feel that is needed, then do the power flush immediately afterward and you've done it all. Lastly, make sure whoever does this work uses only the specified fluid since these transmissions can be temperamental. Many trans places use on GM Dexron and add an additive and tell you that this is the same as DSM, Chrysler, etc. BUT be forewarned that this is definitely not true and can lead to major and very expensive transmission problems.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

They said the gasket and filter were also replaced.

Reply to
rjv494