odd leak when raining (montero)

I have a 2003 Montero (fullsize). Yesterday it was in a parking lot while it rained all day, and I ended up with a big puddle in the front passenger side floor. I don't know where it came from, not the sunroof, not the door or passenger window. I am guessing it was perhaps running down one of the vents (maybe the floor vent).

Has anyone seen this kind of a problem before?

When it dries out, I think I'll lay down newspaper everywhere and run a hose on the car to find out where that water is coming from.

Cheers, bob

Reply to
R.G. Stockwell

The passenger side is where the AC evap is. There is a line that runs from this box behind and under the glove box to the underside of the vehicle. If this is clogged, water from condensation (AC) will eventually fill up the canister and spill into the compartment. Usually a musty smell (bacteria) is present. I suppose it could get rain from the intake vents (outside by windshield) into this box. If the drain is plugged, it will fill just the same.

Since you are obviously not mechanically inclined, take it to a local mechanic and explain this to him. All he has to do is jack the car up and clean it out from the bottom, hopefully....otherwise they have to take the glove box off and go into the case. Not any parts cost, but some labor.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

thanks for the info Todd!

Reply to
R.G. Stockwell

R.G.,

I've have the same problem on my 92 Eclipse, but its on the driver side. The response I recieved from the news group was that my windshield wasn't properly sealed.

"it's your windshield. could have been replaced at one time and not properly sealed. they're supposed to be in a butyl caulk but they do leak."

When I talked to some of the guys at a body shop, they suggested testing the seal by soaking the windshield and blowing air up under the dashboard.

Although, I haven't had time to mess with it....I've been having other problems with my EGR system.....I would like to know how you resolve your problem. I haven't had to worry about it lately because I live in "Sunny Southern California" and it only rains for about three months (Dec., Jan., and Feb.), if that.

I know the rain will be coming soon for me and I'll regret not working on my leak ealier. Take care and I'll be waiting to hear from you, John Cunnick

Reply to
JOHN CUNNICK

I'll look into that too, thanks for the response. Like you, I don't get much rain here in colorado, (and we have the montero in our garage at night) so we have had the car for about 3 months before noticing the problem. I'll post the solution to the problem.

Cheers, bob

Reply to
R.G. Stockwell