oil pressure gauge not working

The oil pressure gauge stopped working on my 1990 Eclipse (2.0, non-turbo, automatic). First, the needle moved to "high" and stayed there. We changed the sending unit and now the needle does not move. Can you help?

Reply to
eclipse90HM

On my 94 Eclipse an open circuit reads 0 pressure, so that implies a short circuit would read high.

Disconnect the wire from the sending unit and touch it to the engine. Do this with the ignition on but don't start the engine. If the needle pegs high, the wiring would appear to be good. If the needle remains low, then there is a fault in the wiring or the gauge.

If the wiring/gauge pass the above test, either the sending unit is bad, or you really don't have any oil pressure. If the lifters start clattering, then you know sending unit is okay.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Did you by any chance switch the oil pressure SWITCH wire with the oil pressure SENDER wire? Both wires are in the same area, and its easy to do. The result is the oil pressure gauge reads zero, after (maybe) flicking upwards slightly.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS