Questions on 97 mitsubishi eclipse gts

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy one of these with the asking price of $8900?

Are there any major problems with this model?

Anything to worry about?

Or bad deal?

Etc...

Reply to
paintballafreak

the awd car, the gsx is the one to get. all of them (either gst or gsx) will have the dreaded 7 bolt 4G63 motor. some of these motors fail due to the crank thrust bearing allowing the crank to shift sideways. i have a 97 gsx and love the car but it is a daily driver/project car: when it breaks, i have an acura vigor as a backup. many of us put in the motor from the older eclipse. this is easy and fairly cheap. pay an experienced mechanic to inspect the thrust (axial end play) on the crank before you buy it do a google search on "crankwalk"

Reply to
simpleton

I will tell you I am not sure if it is worth that price. I just had my 1996 Eagle Talon AWD (loaded with leather excellent condition etc.) totalled and they gave me $4700. Also, the motors get leaky (oil) I need a rear main replaced, just an observation. These cars are fun to drive and can be modded like crazy, but they need maintenance. In my opinion a bad deal for that price...

Some of the other folks in the group can help they are way more into the motors than I am...

Reply to
Larry