Re: 87 Galant transmission problem + uneven running

This last week I lost reverse and 5th gear... replace the gearbox.

Unlikely, check the cables to the shift levers. Its not uncommon for a cable to rust out on the gearbox end.

At 160,000 miles, I'd guess that you need a head job to replace the valve stem seals. Very common problem on high milage Mitsubishis. Rings are probably OK, but there are also products that will disolve carbon build up round rings. Ask your garage.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

No possibility to shift by manually interfering from under the hood. Tried that first without any luck. This MT has a vacum control which prevents the driver to shift into 5th until sertain speed. This to avoid "silly" operating errors. Got hold of a used MT today for $250. Not to bad. I'll ask the garage for something to put into the oil to attempt clearing up things. Thanks again for help.

TJ

Reply to
thor-jan