Sick 1980 Corolla Tercel

Hi all,

New to this newsgroup so please be kind...

I have a 1980 Toyota Corolla Tercel, 1.5 Liter 1A-C engine, 120,000 miles (35,000 in the last 2 1/2 years), and it has three faults at the moment. Driving home from work on Thursday, the engine cut out on the freeway. I pulled off to the side and restarted it with no difficulties. Perhaps four miles further on it cut out again and I was unable to restart it immediately. Tow truck to a repair shop. The shop phoned me about an hour later and said there was nothing wrong with it and it was starting fine. Approx 30 minutes later I got another phone call saying that it was cutting out when it got up to reunning temperature. They then told me I would need to replace, at great cost, the coil/ignitor assembly and the distributor "to begin with".

The prices they quoted for these two parts were, to my mind (and verified by checking a few parts shops online), ridiculously high. They said that that was the price charged for a special order from the manufacturer. To cut a long story short, I no longer trust this repair shop.

Is there anything I can do to figure out if these parts are actually faulty by using simple tools (test meter, removing a spark plug to check for spark by wedging it against an earth etc)? I have the Haynes manual but I'm reluctant to begin troubleshooting/faultfinding without a clear idea of what I am doing.

The thing is, is that if the coil/ignitor assembly were faulty, how would it be possible to know that the distributor was faulty? The main reasons they gave for wanting to change these parts seemed to be that they are the original parts. Yes, parts get old and go faulty, but my gut feeling is that it could just as easily be a faulty ht lead or even a bad earth on the coil/ignitor assembly. How often do distributors wear out? Wouldn't it just be a case of changing the cap and rotor rather than the whole distributor?

Anyway, second problem/fault with the car. The radiator seems to be working okay, temp gauge not going into the red or anything, but after turning it off, the engine is making noises like it was overheating and is cooling from a very high temperature. Any suggestions on the problem here would be gratefully received.

Finally, recently (in the last month), the engine has been running on after being switched off. I know that this is probably timing related, but there are no other symptoms of a timing fault - performance is fine, no pinking, no difficulties starting except for the most recent fault to develop. I suspect this may be linked to the overheating problem, if such a problem exists. Also, this is an intermittent problem, it does not occur every time I use the car.

Last but not least, can anyone suggest (or point me to a FAQ) where I can find a good repair shop/parts supplier in Chula Vista/San Diego?

This has been rather a long letter of introduction/questions to this newsgroup, so I'll take up no more of your time right now except to thank you for reading so far and hope that someone has some suggestions for me.

Graham McNicol

Reply to
Graham McNicol

All related I'd say. Lets start with #3, the running on. This is generally caused by carbon build up in the combustion chambers being overheated, and even when the ign is off, its hot enough to cause the running on. This only happens with carburetted engines like yours. With fuel injection, the ECU turns off the fuel and so there's no way that the engine will run on.

So, why is the carbon getting so hot? The most common reason is running very lean, and for a 1980 vehicle, this generally means the carb is sucking air in from wear in the butterfly spindle or some place else too. I'd suspect that the idle speed is a bit high, another symptom of wear.

As the engine is running so hot internally, even though the cooling system is working, I'd bet the coolant is actually hotter than it should be. So the overheating is the problem to solved FIRST, as this may well be what's making engine cut out.

I don't recall if the 1980 Tercel has a coil/ignitor integral in the distributor assembly , or if its the older coil and sparkgap distributor type. Verify this.

So ... take it to another shop certainly: these guys are idiots who only know how to change parts, not diagnose the problem. You don't have to buy new Toyota parts, unless there's no-one that can supply a rebuilt 1980 compatible unit, if you even need one at all.

Have the new shop check

- carb settings and look for any wear. Be prepared to get a rebuilt carburator.

- verify the timing and spark advance in the distributor. This may need replacement anyway.

- have the compression and leak down tested. There's a possibility that you are blowing a head gasket. If so, then the head has to come off for a full service including valve stem seals.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

To my ears, the idle speed sounds right, but then it could have been a gradual change and I haven't heard any difference.

It's separate units, the coil/ignitor is separate from the distributor.

Well, that's certainly a list for the experts! I'll take it to a different shop tomorrow (Monday) and see what happens from there.

Thanks!

Graham McNicol

Reply to
Graham McNicol

It's going to be one of the three items going bad, probably not all three at once. He isolated it down to one of those three and wants to 'shotgun' replace them all so he doesn't have to check further.

It's probably the coil or ignitor. If you have the right tools, you can do it, but most people don't have a way to see the signal from the distributor to see if it's the sensor, the ignitor, or the coil failing. I don't... (Unless a good Fluke 33 DMM can be used?)

The distributor could be due for a rebuild anyway due to wear in the bearings, but the damned thing can be practically falling apart and still put a spark through at about the right time. That could wait for next month.

Have them quantify the repairs into things that have to be done now, things that have to be done in the near future, and things that can wait for the right time - like doing the water pump and radiator work while they already have the car taken apart for a timing belt change. They might find a bunch of stuff that needs repair but isn't causing your immediate cut-out problems.

I've seen over-zealous mechanics hand people a $5,000 laundry list of repairs for an older car, and the owner freaks and scraps the car. When most of that can be done one piece at a time, and the car is good for another 100,000 miles.

Even if you spend $100 a month on a maintenance item or minor repair, it's still a WHOLE LOT cheaper than new car payments.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ignitors usually fail completely, not intermittently.

Reply to
Ray O

I tried starting it this morning, first time in 3 days, and it won't start. Engine turns over but it makes no attempt to catch.

Oh well, time for another tow truck.

Graham McNicol

Reply to
Graham McNicol

I was thinking the same. I remember Toyota had a campagn for some bad parts they had in the 83 Tercel. Had to be towed from a McDonalds pickup window when the car died during lunch time. It probably cost Big Mac a few hundred bucks waiting for my car to get moved.

Reply to
Art