Re: 87 Galant transmission problem + un even running

> I have a 87 Galant with 2.0 engine with close to 160,000 miles that I bought > used 3 months ago. > > This last week I lost reverse and 5th gear. > I was told by the mechanic at the shop that the transmission needed > replacement and that they seldom lasted longer than this.

Sounds like an internal problem, so yeah, I think you're going to have to lay out some cash to fix that one. However, one of the shifter cables *may* be messed up since fifth and reverse are both to the right of all the other gears. Go under the hood and see if you can get reverse or fifth by moving the transmission levers by hand. If you can, then you know it's just a shifter cable problem.

> The other problem I have is that when driving in steady speed at any speed, > the engine runs uneven and kicks the car. The milage I get is normal and > have given the cara tune up and changed the timing belt.

Need more info on that one.

Any suggestions of how to get the oil consumption down. This last week I > have filled 3 quarts. It has not been overfilled when I have had it and does > not leak and does not seam to be a smoker.

You may not notice the smoke, but it may still be burning it. If a car uses oil, it either burns it or leaks it. There's no place else for the oil to go. A compression test might show the rings are shot and that would explain the problem. If you can remove a spark plug, then you can easily do a compression test yourself.

Reply to
Brad