Sloppy shifter?

I just bought a 94 Mirage and the shifter is really sloppy. Does anyone know where to begin troubleshooting this? I thought I had heard that there was a bushing that needed to be replaced.

Reply to
LWG

Slop occurs in two places:

  1. on the transmission levers themselves there is a rubber insert in the end of each shift cable. These sometimes fall apart or out. Its simple enough to fit them back in with a bit of WD40 and some vice grips. There's also a support bracket on for the cables about 8" from the shift levers. Make sure this is not floating about (rubber grommets deteriorate).

  1. In the shift lever itself in the cabin, there's rubber mounting grommets that fall apart, and also some nylon washers in the L-R, Bkg-Fwd movement of the lever that wear out.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS