Spyder GT Mileage

Hi,

My Spyder GT 2001 gives me a mileage of around 17 mpg and I was wondering if this is too low. Any suggestions so that I could improve this?

I recently got an oil change and the transmission fluid replaced for my

60K mileage. This did not help either. What can I do??

Cheers Raja

Reply to
Raja

i am guessing it is an eclipse?

MPG depend on how u drive. under normal driving, the rating for the car is city 20, highway 27

Fuel economy city 20 mpg Fuel economy highway 27 mpg

Reply to
AirborneDSM

Raja,

An oil and transmission fluid change will not improve mileage, but will definitely help improve the longevity of the engine and transmission. Hopefully you also had the filters replaced at the same time. :)

On getting better mileage, here are some ideas:

- Don't make jack rabbit starts and coast to lights, etc.

- Don't let your vehicle warm up for prolonged periods as this wastes gas.

- Use gasoline as opposed to gasohol (mix with ethanol)

- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Check inflation to max cold pressure stamped on the tires

- Make sure engine is in good tune, plugs and wires are good.

- Put a bottle of a good fuel injector cleaner in the tank (I use Techron) occasionally.

- Replace the fuel filter if you have not done so already.

- Replace the air filter (should have been done several times by now)

- Make sure your brakes are not dragging (sticking calipers will require extra fuel)

Others can add to this list, but it gives you a place to start. On the oil change, in retrospect, the only way this might have improved fuel economy, but this would be very slight, is if you went to lighter oil, say 5W-30 instead of 10W-30. Better to use the recommended oil weight for each season as it will offer better protection and longevity.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

On 8 Mar 2006 10:57:51 -0800, against all advice, something compelled "Raja" , to say:

Keep your foot out of it. Yes, that is hard to do.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Are you displaying any error codes?

17mpg is awful and points to things beyond "jack rabbit" starts. I'm getting 22 city 30 highway in a 400hp GSX running on full snow tires.

Your O2 sensor might have issues.

Reply to
simpleton