Starting problems

Hi All,

I'm having a few problems with my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant VR-G (1.8 GDI). In the morning especially, and after any long period of time (i.e half a day) that the car is sitting without being started, it has abnormal difficulty in turning over. The problem has deteriorated in the last 3 months, where initially it would just take an extra crank or two to turn over, and now, when it is especially cold or has not been started for a couple of days, it can take up to 9 or 10 seconds to crank over and start, usually coughing and spluttering in between. I've taken it to the Mitsubishi dealer who have tried to clean the butterflys and all sorts of things, which have been to no avail. They offered to go further into the problem by decarbing the manifold and taking the engine apart individually until they find the problem, but warned that it would probably cost thousands!

Has anyone had any experience with these engines and/or problems of these sort? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

Reply to
Charles Nelson