tail/stop light stays on

Mitsu 96 Galant has the tail/stop lights staying on when car is turned off. Discovered that the brake pedal lever is not touching the brake light switch. Found a broken part (grommet/bumper??) that's supposed to fit in a hole in the lever and touches the brake light switch. Please tell me the correct name for this part. Apparently I'm having a hard time convincing the local dealer's parts department of this. I'd think they know what it's called, but, hey, guess what?

Andy M 0 Tampa Bay

Reply to
Andy M - Tampa Bay

Grommet sounds like a good name: if the part exists it should show up in the parts diagram. Also, the brake pedal should be held up to the switch by a spring with long end wire. If this spring is disconnected, the pedal sometimes sags just enough to switch on the brake lights, and to cause the front disks to drag.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Thanks, Stewart.

The spring is fine. It's the dang grommet thingy I found in pieces on the floor mat.

Anyways, ordered from the dealer... let's see if they got this one right.

Andy M

Reply to
Andy M - Tampa Bay

Is this the part? I don't know enough details on your make/model to look up any more than this. I'd need some engine details. Those are the WinCaps PNC that the dealer uses, if correct. They use the PNC to look up the part number.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know