195/60/15 on 7J wheels instead of 205/50/15?

What's the opinion?

Background - if the tweaking of the Integrale goes OK, we'll probably take it to my mum's place over Chrimbo. Given that this involves mountains and can involve lots of snow (we've had 50cm+ there overnight before), I don't want to drive there on summer tyres and the 195/60s are a lot easier to find. Plus, they're roughly within 1% of the rolling radius of the 205s, so I'm just worried that the wheels are considered to be too wide for 195s.

Any wheel experts got an opinion?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

My non-expert opinion is that you won't die. The VW "scene" types stretch tyres far more than that. FWIW tyre manufacturers produce big tables of exactly this sort of data, so you can find out if it'd be a safety issue or not in terms of the rim coming off the wheel.

Reply to
Doki

Don't think a wheel being 'too wide' - within reason - matters to a tyre. The other way, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm glad you said "within reason" - google for "stretch", especially on US VW sites... It's hilarious.

Reply to
Adrian