Anyone fancy an interesting twist on a Skyline, under £600

the real deal, just don't expect 4wd and turbos, or Nissan for that matter

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, I know a couple of people who had those. One of whom is a rather beautiful girl called Emma who painted flowers all over hers...

Reply to
Pete M

Well, it _is_ a Nissan.

I actually quite like that.

Mind you, I do have a thing for strange Japanese cars from the 70s.

Reply to
SteveH

Like this Datsun, I find a lot of them look nice, but not quite nice enough. That said, I really want to get my grubby little mits on a Mk1 Toyota Celica. Mmmmmmmm.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I like the Mk1 Celica, but I'm after a Mk1 3.0E Capri..

Reply to
Pete M

souls

Ah yes, the Mk1 Capri. Nice also. Still, there's a guy around where I live who drives a bright red Mk1 Celica GT. God I want that car.

Reply to
Chris B

Ah but this back in the day when they were known as Datsun. It doesn't appear in the Autorader Nissan listing, on the site, just the Datsun one, where you have two choices when searching, Any or Patrol.

Just for a giggle, I chose any, and that was the only one to come up. I do like 70's japs too. If it had been a manual and listed how much ticket, i would have been on it like a shot.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Where would you get repair and tuning parts for an older Skyline like that, and what sort of power do you reckon the auto box could take?

The 2litre models were about 130BHP, don't know about the 240 (2.4litre

6's).

I'm slowly but surely getting tempted by that car even though I've never driven an auto anything, but it has a certain vanishing point/Starky and hutch/streets of san francisco/huggy bear'ness about it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's going to be very close mechanically to the 240Z - so oily bits should be easy-ish and cheap-ish to buy.

At that money, I wouldn't give a toss though - I'd run it 'till something expensive went wrong and then bin it.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH

Yeah, saw that. Some interesting tweaks done there.

More I see it, more I'm tempted.

Just wish they fitted the Jap model round tail lights instead of the silly square ones that the UK specs got.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

There is a very faded brown 2000 ST Liftback. Still looks a fantastic car and so much scope for playing with.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

On one of the Datsun sites, someone mentioned seeing a black C210=20 skyline advertised in manchester for =A3400 that had been stored for ages= =20 (sounds like the same one) that needed all hoses and hydralics replacing=20 before it could be driven. Which is a shame. If it had been a good drive=20 I might have been tempted.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

"MeatballTurbo" wrote

I've driven one. The straight 6 sounds absolutely fantastic. Really comfy interior in a 70s way. Autobox not a problem, kicksdown like a banshee. The one I drove was pretty knackered and would still haul ass in kickdown.

It's not far from me either (I'm WA16 postcode) and I'm after a new car... nah to uneconomical! I need reasonable economy, handling, bit of performance.

Infact a MK2 golf GTI would be the logical upgrade to my Driver which is a real hoot on the backroads between Mere and Wilmslow

Reply to
fishman

If you go along to see that skyline let me know what you think.

One of the Datsun board sites mentioned it was coming up for arround=20 =A3400(they said near manchester black stored for years, so it must be the= =20 same one), and that it needed all it coolant and hydraulic systems=20 replacing. I'm assuming they mean corroded brake pipes and the like,=20 plus perished coolant hoses.

Shame, sounds like just my kind of car.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

I had one like this, in red as well, but with different wheels and 1974:

Sadly engine troubles and huge mileage caused it an early scrapping.

Considerably curvier lines than the common sort;

If you look closely at the doors, you will realise there is no window frame, and no pillar, so wind down front and rear windows and there isn't anything holding the roof up, also when you open the door, there's nothing above the handle. Dukes of Hazard style, basically, which at the time was a draw but now I dunno so much. (Still, I would like it back.)

Handling was excellent but I'm judging by cars of that era so modern drivers wouldn't say so. Loads of power from the twin cam engine, too, can't have been many twin cams about at the time. Five speed box, again, not normal.

The other thing that really made the car nice, you sat in it with your legs straight and forward. This had the drawback of meaning you couldn't see over the top of things too well, but lowered the roof line and was amazingly comfortable. Probably unsuitable for modern traffic conditions, you'd keep running into the back of things through not seeing the cars a few ahead start to brake.

Reply to
Questions

God I want that car.

God I want that car.

Sounds great to me. Pillarless looks great - is it safe? Would I care? Would I grow my hair long, wear a medallion and put on some aviator shades?

Sounds great.

Did I mention I want one of those cars?

;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

don't know about you, but I surely would ya'all.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

mechanically

Mercy! This is too much! :)

They're incredibly hard to find - there was one on eBay last month that had been off the road for a year or two but looked in decent condition and was described as being pretty good. It had a buy it now price of £500 - I was all set to drive down to look at it but some fool bid on it before the seller got back to me and the buy it now option disappeared. Needless to say, it went for over £1000 IIRC and the idiot who thought he'd be able to get it for something stupid like £125 ruined my weekend.

I've been wanting to rant about that for quite a while ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hell, what I am talking about. I AM growing my hair long and I drive a white Porsche 924 with black, gold and burgundy stripes down the sides. Where's my aviators? Who wants to see my chest hair?

;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B