anyone point me to where I can locate a small non-return valve.

Kind of thing that gets used in Washer jet pipe work to stop the washer fluid flowing back in long pipe runs.

I'm looking to remove the charcoal cannister to make some more engine bay room. Problem is, I don't want the tank vent venting to atmo to avoid fuel fumes, and I don't want to block it to avoid a tank vacuum when the fuel is getting pumped from the tank.

So I figure, if I fit a small spring non return valve, it wil be closed normally, and only open when sufficient vacuum starts to build up, then close immediatly afterwards.

Any one know of a good site that doesn't need an account or massive orders to get this sort of part.

I know some cars use this sort of thing for PCV systems, and Saab use one in the Vac cannister that operates the vent switching, but it is built into the cap of the cannister rather than being inline.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

VW Golfs tend to have them.

To be honest, that motor factor on Kingsway should have them.

Reply to
Pete M

Hmm, good thought. Either there or DRB.

Might nip on the way home.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

If you mean exactly that, Halfords sell them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Damn, never thought of Halfords. That would be exactley the kind of thing, because the vent pipe is rubber and nice and small.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Is this really a good idea? Or are the charcoal filters another emission control thingy? Benzene is bad m'kay

Reply to
fishman

Just take off the cannister, and let it vent to atmosphere. Obviously put the vent pipe out of the way somewhere...

Reply to
Nom

It stores up the fumes from the tank breather, then purges them into the intake when the engine starts, and creates a vacuum.

Just a typical overshoot by certain manufacturers. A lot used to either vent back into the filler cap area and use a breather there, or just vent to atmo (especially older cars). As mine is a 1990, I could probably just vent to atmo, as my 1989 Skoda did, but I don't want to hence wanting a one way valve to keep venting to a minimum.

The charcoal canisters get clogged, or breakdown with age and can eventually fill with liquid fuel, which is generally too heavy to be purged like the fumes can, they also cause vacuum problems in the tank, because once clogged the tank can't draw back, and cause running issues, stumbles and back fires, plus leaning out on turbo cars, even though the pump/injectors can cope, and the fuel filter is fine.

It's an American thing. I'm looking at trying to do away with the EGR system too, once I know that it is running fairly clean. Less vac hoses to worry about, no appreciable rising in emissions, and a clearer engine bay. It only had to be fitted in the US too, but was fitted world wide. As I'm getting rid of the CAT, the problems caused by ditching the rest of the emission system will be minimal, and I only need to achieve 3.5% CO, and 1200PPM HC to pass the MOT.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Sleeker GT Phwoar" wrote

Thanks, I didn't know about most of that stuff. You're kind of lucky I suppose to have all that stuff fitted on a Pre '93 car as removing it will improve the engine bay as well as provide a bit of extra poke from the engine :)

I guess these internationally marketed cars do have all the US s**te in them, whereas my '92 Dedra had none of it and my '94 one had a cat and EGR, the lot. The thing is, the post-cat cars still had the same power output, so removal of the emissions crap would surely raise the engine output to above that of the standard '92 cars?

With something as rare as those dedras, or indeed any other car that didn't have a discernible facelift or revision between '92 and '94, it'd be easy to get a reg transfer from a J plater onto an L plater and fool the MOT man into giving it a pass ;)

Or is there some other way of MOT man knowing? (of course this is all hypothetical as I don't have any Lancias in my fleet now)

Reply to
fishman

Biggest problem is, the only reasonable place to fasten it to, is the firewall, unless you fasten it were crap might sicked in lower down.

And that just happens to be right were the bonnet wide grill is, that draws external air in the interior blower system. peopl who have just pulled the cannister and not blocked it get fumes drawn into the blower at certain times. Those who block it have at times gotten fueling problems. Figured a oneway valve would minimise that. Shouldn't be difficult to do, and cost peanuts.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Can't you just extend the pipe, and route it out of the way somewhere ?

One-way-valve malarky sounds like unneeded complexity to me.

Reply to
Nom

Your new car has the charcoal-cannister setup, as does just about everything produced since the early-to-mid nineties. It's the black cylinder thing on the passenger-side of the engine bay, from memory.

It doesn't do any harm - just stores the vapours from the fuel tank, in a lump of charcoal. During hard acceleration, the connection from the charcoal to the inlet is opened, and the stores vapours are swallowed and burnt by the engine.

Reply to
Nom

It could, but I would rather not have petrol vapur in the vacinity of a hot turbo engine.

Liquid fuel isn't so bad, I've had that drip onto a hot manifold before with no ill effects, just don't fancy having vapour (which is the stuff that goes bang) hanging arround making a bad smell and waiting to go pop. If I have it too low, there is a chance contaminents getting in, and best blocking the pipe, at worst getting in the tank. If I have it high, there is more of a chance to smell it, and get a bang.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar