Astra mods update - An actual modding posts

Before I begin, please, no one reply to Stevens' drivel in this thread please - 'cos you know he'll be replying even though I can't see it. Me and Doug were just discussing how quiet it was once you'd KFed all Steven's addresses and blocked all his threads, so I thought I'd start a mods thread!

Right, remember I said we suspected a boost leak on the Coupe Turbo? Well, it wasn't a soft spring, wasn't the atmo dump valve, or anything like that.

Turns out, the map that had been done was just a bit of a s**te one (it gave good torque through the range, but didn't give the high peak power as well, or higher boost - dunno how it did that really....). Although to be fair, it did always feel a lot smoother than the standard one right through the range. Local remap guy has new 'someone what knows' and it's been remapped again - now it overboosts to 16/17psi and settles to 12psi. Which is a good healthy hoof over standard :-) Now it doesn't half go some...

Reply to
Iridium

I managed to jump start my Polo this morning after giving it some serious WD40ontheHTleads treatment. Does that count as a mod?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yea why not, it's pretty quite in here at the moment heh. The 405 used to have 1 lead that always managed to touch the block and it melted a hole in the covering, so when it got real wet, it used to misfire on one cylindar cos it would get water in that hole. I really should have replaced that lead instead of just put it in the airing cupboard heh.

Reply to
Iridium

It counts as progress, so that can only be good - that's for sure.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

For my next trick, I really am going to swap out the oil pressure sensors to see if that'll stop the damn thing flashing and beeping at me.

Trouble is, I don't know which way round the high and low sensors are supposed to go.

It's got a black (high pressure) one and a brown (low pressure) one. They both go into the head behind the rocker cover, but without gambling £15 on a Haynes or checking under the bonnet of a similar (1993 1.0l) vintage car, I'm not sure how else to find out which one goes where. The blokes at eurocarparts, volkswagen and my local motor factors said they couldn't tell me. How frustrating.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I don't think so, as it probably started without problems as standard from the factory.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ken doesn't use socks, so you are clearly talking to yourself.

Reply to
Lordy.UK