Back! Tuning question!

Hello!

I'm back! Had a quick look around the NG and there seems to be still numerous people whose names I recognise from the "old days". I expect you'll remember me - you used to give me enough stick over anything & everything!

I'll try and sum up 2 years. Went economic and bought a small French car. Nice, but got bored of the (lack of) power, borrowed the parents T5 for a couple of weeks whilst they were on holiday and decided I just had to get one for myself, no dicking around this time. So I'm now the proud owner of an 850 T5 estate with all the toys.

I've still got the Renault. I bought it brand new (silly me) and so don't really want to see the huge depreciation in it's first couple of years. Am thinking of keeping it for the long term (10 years or so) and using it on my commute & regular journeys. That leaves the T5 to play with :-)

Had a quickish search around the Internet and the RICA chip seems to be the preferred option for people tuning the T5's. Paper figures seem alright - 305bhp and 420 NM (300 lb/ft) of torque. Enough of them have had it done - and at £490 it's very good value (IMO) for the increase in power.

However. I have an automatic version (and I'm proud of it - so smooth to drive!), and I'm a bit worried about putting this power through the Auto gearbox. I've no doubts that the engine will take the power as

350bhp is possible before internal work needs doing. What'd you reccomend? I was thinking a fresh gbox fluid change and maybe an extra cooler on the system would help?

I'm finding the automatic a little gutless (well, as gutless as 225bhp can be!) mid range in comparison to the manual version. I've got it booked into Volvo as the boost gauge doesn't seem to be going as far into the white section as the manual version when it's accelerating hard (in sport mode). I know the actual turbo is fine, but am thinking there might be a boost leak?

Well guys, hope all is well with you. I see SteveH still has his Alfa penhant and Dervman is still diesel-lovin (but driving a petrol). Some things will never change :-) Hope someone can answer my question(s) and even if you can't, reply and say "hello" anyway!

Hugo TJ

Reply to
Hugo Taylor-Jones

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Hugo Taylor-Jones decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows So I'm

Welkommen Back to zee URCM trenches.

IIRC T5s were tuned differently for manual and auto. Mainly to stop torque steer and monster wheelspin.

I'd not worry about putting reasonable power through the auto box too much, get the box serviced first (change of fluid, clean / replace filters etc), but I'd avoid nailing it off the line like an 18 yr old in their mums' Escort. Usual caveats apply. Don't nail f*ck out of it with 5 up, a caravan on the back with a boot full of Gold ingots up the Stelvio pass and you should be ok.

Reply to
Pete M

Welcome back :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Good point.

Next excuse.... touch typing, and not looking at the screen.

Reply to
SteveH

RICA is the chip to go for - HL Motorsport

are the guys, they have a demo car. No problems with gearboxes and internals at simple chipped levels unless you're going racing. Big increases mean fitting the turbocharger from an 850R. You will need 97 or 98 RON fuel though (which also will sort out the midrange reluctance you've got at the moment too).

Let me know if you're heading to HL I might arrange to meet you there!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Fit it with an oil cooler and go ahead!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

[snip]

Greetings.

Skoda Octavia diesel.

SDI ewwwwwwwwwwww.

TDI better....

Reply to
DervMan

Back to your Volkswagen, heretic.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yep, not much has changed.

Make that regular gearbox fluid changes. Possibly an extra cooler might help. Jamesy's your man (I think) - he's got a chipped T5, and I think it's an auto - could be a manual though.

Just make sure you're nice to the turbo. Take it easy in the minutes before turning off, plus leave it around 30 seconds idling (or just off boost generally, i.e. gentle reversing to park up does the trick as well, I think), and it should last a long while. What's the mileage on it anyway?

Yeah, and true to form, Steve's gone and bought a non-Italian car for the commute :-). Some things never change.

Ok, then, hello.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Don't you think they're a bit stupidly small in the back? The VAG TDi engines are nice though. The 1.8T is a great stinking shitload better than them though.

Reply to
Doki

Apparently RICA are the boys. I think i'd probably not bother with the dealership, as RICA should be more than capable at checking for any split hoses, checking stock boost levels, engine health etc, and replacing a more likely a soft wastegate actuator- the spring goes weak and they open prematurely when aged and you not only fail to make factory boost until well up the rev range but it really hurts boost building quickly when the turbo spools up. You may be able to get away with tightening the linkage, but its abitof a bodge.

That said no T5 (or T4) gives its best on 95octane- you need 97 or 98 even in stock trim. With a chip it will be better but the ~300bhp is only availble with 98 octane.

What sort of miles are on the car? And what year is the car? Late cars (N&P reg approx) had a reversed intercooler flow to stop them freezing up in very cold weather, but it really hurt flow and intercooler efficiency. You can convert back to the best set up but you need afew pipes from an earlier car. Check the intercooler is nice and clean with not too many bent fins anyhow.

The manual software is different to an auto's in that the auto is limited on torque in the mid-range to protect the 'box- especially in the lower gears; as they're not especially long lived due to the *stupid* recommendation of no fluid change required.

Get the fluid changed, the filters replaced, then flush out the fluid again about 5000 miles later if the old fluid was dark or burnt. Replace at 15-20k intervals thereafter.

I would not ask the box to change down into 1st then upto 2nd then to 3rd with the engine at chipped full power without lifting the gas slighly during the change too many times unless you want problems...!

Anyway, you'll be fighting the torque steer to keep it on the black stuff!

Volvo themselves had trouble with the S60 / V70 R's auto boxes in development holding together with the torque from the supposed 300bhp(!) motors, even with the latest 3 shaft 'box, and in the end cut alot of lower rev torque with a swift software change.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Stupidly small? Cramped, maybe, but then it depends on your perspective, from a Ka-owning one, they're fine.

To be fair, though, any time in the next ten years, space in the back isn't a priority. Kiddies will fit in the Ka, pushchair in a box on the roof, if we need to.

As for the engine, to be fair (no disrespect to Charlie), just about anything will do. The SDI is sluggish until you get used to it, then it's still sluggish you you learn to accept it. Will do just fine about the city, actually will probably do fine on my commute since it's in dense but flowing traffic on the A1. TDI obviously much better.

But given the expected annual mileage, the 1.8T or 2.0 would be just fine. Except for insurance... So might have to lump it with the 1.6 eight valver or SDI / TDI 90 for the time being. :-(

Reply to
DervMan

The SDI is actually better in stop start town traffic than the TDI, I reckon. No turbo lag, and a more progressive delivery of power between 0 and 2500rpm, which is where it matters around town.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

All those valves and still not enough valve area...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

As you just want something cheap, and not fast or good to handle, get yourself an S40 and stop looking at that Skoda rubbish.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think "delivery of power" and "non turbo diesel" are oxymoronic...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What I really want is an S60... D5 or 2.0T...

Reply to
DervMan

If you don't get a D5 we'll have to stop calling you Dervy.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh! The different compression ratios do make a noticeable difference below

2000 rpm though.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

LOL! How much are S60 D5s these days anyway...

Reply to
DervMan