Bonnet vents

No. Never.

That's a cardinal sin in the Golf world.

'Jetta front ends belong on a Jetta, not on some pathetic attemt to build a Rallye replica'

Yeah, M3 style lights look good - but don't suit every colour of Golf. They're good on (Tornado?) red and black cars, but that's about it IMHO.

White Golfs look s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

They make it look more like a Mk3 polo, that's a good thing in my book. :)

Reply to
Depresion

I prefer the badgeless 2 light grills, but yeah I agree.

Hmm can you show me a nice one, I would really like to get the chrome trim that you get on some mk1 golfs

Do they make much of a difference? I can't tell from the photo's tbh i'll try and google for one after maybe.

I prefer the big bumpers but i'm not quite sure what you mean, got a pic? I also had the idea of relocateing the second smaller head light into the big bumper, but it might end up ruining it : / I was thinking about buying this, but i'm not sure... still you can't really go wrong for £10?

Yeah I was already thinking about doing the euro look, but I would like to put some G60 archs on to compliment the deep dish alloys.

There is also this zender kit, nothing special and you can't see what the rear bumper looks like (although hes sending me a pic), but it might be a refreashing change from the 1000+ other vw golfs with gti kits on, in combination with the RS front bumper and G60 side skirts, on the other hand it might look utter shit and that RS bumper will take alot of work to fit.

Smoked or crystal I havnt decided, my golf is white atm so I guess smoked will look nicer.

I'm tempted by coil overs but due to being a poor ass student I thinnk i'll start off with a 30 mm drop just on springs then add uprated shocks later.

I can't really find any 14" alloys i like: 16" ABT Deep dish, a little plain but still nice, I wasnt prepared to pay £300 for them though.

If I where to go for a non deep dish look, i might buy these, but I bet they will sell for alot: 15" Alpina's.
I really like these, but they are 108 stud pattern so I don't think they will fit, but if the reserve is set low, they are worth buying wheel spacers for!: 15" ATS Split rim
Pretty much the same as above but the stud pattern is correct, problem is they are Ronal which means they are more than likely to sell for £300+: Ronal 5 spoke 15" deep dish
I don't know about these, with a bit of cleaning up I suppose they could look nice plus they arnt going to sell for much I think: 15" Arbet deep dish
My favourites, problem is they are everyone elses favourites which means they are going to go pretty high and they arnt orginal, how ever they are in bloody good condition!: BBS 3 peice split rim 15"
Cheaper version of above: 15" BBS G60
Cheapishness: BBS 5 Spoke
As you can see i've been tawling ebay for vw alloys like a bitch!

Reply to
REMUS

I have a Jetta up the feild but I don't really like the look and I don't really want to spend £250+ on anything but alloys for the time being but who knows for the future? I suppose I could try and shack up with this rich girl from my 6th form... *gets weights out*

I would have to see a pic with them on really, but i'll look into it since my golf is white.

Reply to
REMUS

The true Euro-look is single light grilles.

Try Eurocarparts or GSF.

Don't think they make much difference - but they do look a lot nicer.

You want bumpers like the ones on this:

ISTR they're available new from GSF / Euro.

No, that's hideous.

I wouldn't.

And don't even think about Zender bodykits.

That's the best way. Coilovers are expensive, and not always worth the cash. I'd go with the new springs and dampers - again, not expensive from GSF etc.

I don't really think the deep dish look works with a larger wheel - a lot of Euro conversions are done on 13" alloys.

Reply to
SteveH

I took the name remus from the roman myth of the founding of rome (Remus and Romulus)

Quote from GOLF+ "Nevertheless, his current weapon choice fell into his hands as a mrk2 1.3 litre just over a year ago - considerably less boring than any of the modern VW range at a respectable 72 bhp" Although I think that 72 bhp includes a exhaust and a few other things.

Ok its still shitty but being 19 I can't exactly afford to be insured on anything less than sensible, even if I got hold of a 1.8 8v GTi I would proberbly only insure it for 1 month when we go to the dyno, then change back to the 1.3 becuase belive it or not, its good cheap fun. I think you forget what it is to be young(ish) in this country.

I did actually see this rear spoiler that I quite liked,

its not big though justadds a nice touch to the tail gate imo.

I don't exactly know what you mean, vertically is up yes?

Reply to
REMUS

Yeah sorry, i ment 2 light as opposed to 4 light.

Agree'd I was trying to invisage it on the car, but it looks too wide?

Depends, i'll get the alloys first then decide.

I'll check those Eurocar and GSF sites to see if I can find anything i like.

Reply to
REMUS

In article , usenet- snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Well, if you look at the cars that tend to have them (the Scoob, Evo, and the GT4) they all initially started as non turbo commuter rockets or sports car look alikes.

So really it probably wasn't down to the engineer, it was probably down to the accounts and marketting depts who said he couldn't have much more of a new development budget, "and remember we launch next week"

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Nothing, but there's something seriously wrong with fitting bonnet vents to a 1.3.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Sorry! Take the front wings off as well then. For that 'stripped out' look.

Reply to
Mark W

Yes, like this:

[O: vw :O]

BTW, you should study your mythology a bit more carefully. Romulus founded Rome, Remus just got killed. So I'll stick with the idea of you being the old man with the rabbit fixation and the tar baby.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Erm isn't that horizontal not vertical? verticle would mean they are point to the sky?

Yes yes, I know :P I found it funny that his brother killed him for jumping over the walls of Rome plus Romulus is a pap name and Remus is good. Allot of people think I call myself it on msn because of the exhaust manufacturer.

For you honey... anything.

Reply to
REMUS

Oh yeah, are you comming to this dyno thing, I will get it organised if enough people say yes.

Reply to
REMUS

That's clever, the way you forget how to spell a word half way through the sentence :-)

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Probably not because I'm up to my armpits in work. It's harvest time, v. busy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, it won't be untill Nov time, so see if you can get a saturday or somthing free.

Reply to
REMUS

lol, be quiet!

Reply to
REMUS

ROFL

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

Hmm... Sort of yes... but basically enlarged a bulge so the bigger-than-usual engine would fit and still allow the bonnet to be closed. Cut out a flap, welded two triangles and a rectangle into the gaps, smoothed and painted it.

Not a great idea, though, I wouldn't bother again even though it does, to be fair, still look ok.

If you want to end up with a bonnet that has vents in it, take your existing bonnet off and fabricate something out of fibreglass over a steel frame. This can weigh next to nothing compared to the current one and if you make a right pig's ear of it then you can just put the old one back on and nobody will be any the wiser.

Make sure it is decently strong though or you'll end up going along the motorway with no idea what's ahead.

Reply to
Questions

Ah no, you fail to understand me, November is the harvest for me. Olives.

Reply to
Steve Firth