4 days and it's dinted

Just got back from volleyball this morning and noticed a small but significant dint in the passenger door. Saw a dizzy bint struggling to park a great big stupid 4x4 monstrosity (what is it with those things and women who can't drive anyway) next to it and thought uh-oh. Can't spend all my time nursing the damned thing so walked away. Sure enough it was there when I got out a couple hours later. Phoned the dint man and he's sorted it, that's another £25 flushed down the pan.

Reply to
Johnny

Do what I do m8

Take up 2 spaces in the car park, f*ck em

People dont tend to argue with me either for some reason :) I hate people who take up 2 spaces normally but I see myself as an exception lol, < thats cus im a wanker though :)

Reply to
Ronny

Just about every panel on my car has a ding of one sort or another - some several. And it's been hit three times when properly parked.

In car parks I try and park as far away from the shop entrance as possible, but that doesn't seem to help.

I always manage to get out of my car without hitting the one next to it. If it's a tight space I'll put my hand round the edge of my door to avoid damage to either.

Many others must have mobility or judgement problems. If so, shouldn't they use the disabled bays?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh quit moanin! Do ye not remember what happened my 172 after 4 days? LOL

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

ok Chet wins :)

Reply to
Vamp

Well, that's what you get if you leave something French in the supermarket car park where a trolley can easily hit it... :)

Reply to
Lordy

hehe, i remember when i was about ooo 6-7 years old, my mum went into safeway and left me and my sister in the car (audi 80 quattro 2.2i, lovly car) anyway I was getting really bored so I decided to go find her, I swung the door open and bashed this old gits 4x4 and I didn't realise so i kept trying to open it with my foot, by this time (litterally seconds after the first bash) an old woman had gotten in (not sure if she was already in) and noticed me doing this, she pulled one hell of a face and when her husband got back she told him and he proceeded to very immaturely smack his cars door into ours LOL! So I decided to be a little shit and when they were pulling off I opened our door again and dented their front wing they didnt even notice! We didnt even get a scratch on the audi, god bless galvanisation and 6 coats of paint!

Morale of the story is Jonny, kids are even worse than old bastards for that sort of thing!

Reply to
REMUS

I do my best :-)

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

D'oh!

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sorry mate, try parkin the Audi on a busy road ;)

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

LOL - I'll see what I can do.........

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It was a Solent Blue 1989 XJ6 3.6, a stonking car. It had been owned by a doctor from new and had few miles on it. I did 3000 miles in one trip in it, and it put a huge smile on my face. It was really unusual because the person doing the veneer had a sense of humour and he figured the wood to create a Jaguar "growler" by quartering the panels and arranging the grain appropriately. My Mrs spotted it and loved it for that alone.

Sadly no, it didn't have aircon and I decided when a Daimler became available to do a part ex + cash. Regretted it ever since.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Growler? Quartering? Grain? I think i need further explanation of this, preferably with pics and illustrations :)

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

Jaguar cars have two mascots, the Leaper which is the leaping Jaguar on the bonnet (now illegal) and the Growler which is the snarly cat face.

Cutting veneer into quarters then rotating each piece to make a symmetrical patter. It's one of the things makes the difference between the crap "wood" on German cars and the way that British prestige cars have really high class wood trim. Imagine doing it with wood with a diagonal grain. It's possible to trim and rearrange the veneer to make a diamond pattern.

In my case the wood was a burr walnut and had been rotated to give two eyes, pointy ears and a snarly face.

That's the stripy effect in real wood.

ASCII art isn't up to it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Illegal? Only in terms of passing the crash / safety tests, not sure about the MOT though. One of my clients has two S-Types, both keepers have ordered the Leaper (using a Jaguar US part code), had it fitted and told their insurance company, who didn't care.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

His insurance company will car the 10th time he files a claim for it being nicked. Someone went to the length of hooking his up to the battery and a potential theif grabbed it, got a shock, and stepped backwards into the road right in time for a truck to hit him. The jag owner ended up on manslaughter charges.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

That is an urban myth, and not a very convincing one - 12v isn't enough to give anyone a shock. Also the 'Leaper' is fastened to the bonnet, which is earthed, so if you did try to connect it to the +V terminal of you battery, all you would do is short the battery through the bodywork.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Hmm... Leaper is conductive. Car is conductive. Car is conected to -ve terminal of battery. So it's not possible to make leaper live. Sounds like an urban myth.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Wonder how many urban myths this combines?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Leaper was earthed with some rubber washers and electrified with an electric fence circuit IIRC.

Here is the link to the story

Here is the story:-

John Littler I was told a story (probably apocryphal !!) the morning after mine was damaged, that apparently in London there was a bit of a fad for knocking off Jag and Mercedes emblems (so what's changed ..) and it got to the point where a number of Jag owners did exactly what you first thought... wired the emblem to the battery to make it "live" - this apparently worked very well until some young punk grabbed one got a well deserved shock, jumped backwards out of surprise and got killed by a passing lorry! (I personally think it's about the right punishment but anyway). What about a removable cat? Attach it when you want but pop it off when the situation demands. I like this one, but my inability to find a good replacement when the cat is removed has kept me from it?

It probably was urban myth.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston