Car Dealership Problems

That is the point, he took the mechanics advise that all was well as he was entitled to do, just because the guy is called a mechanic doesnt mean he cant give professional advise in his "professional field" To become a mechanic a person takes a fully acredited course.

The mechanic said nothing was wrong, and soon thereafter the car broke down with a major fault. The small amount of driving after being told the car was fine is not off set by hearing the clicking noise again. After all you are relying on "professional advise" that noise is not a problem. Tony

Reply to
Tony

Not a Toyota is it?

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Most of the replies correctly pointed out that it it was the OP that was in the wrong and not the garage. As such he is unlikely to have a case that will stand scrutiny in court. What else do you expect? Any competant lawyer would have told him the same so what is your gripe about?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Thought you had left the group:

Well I guess that you are a UK lawyer and that explains why there are so many miscarriages of justice in the UK. Uk Solicitors are never wrong and UK barristers have the sun shining out there arses. look matey try a few more crash and bash cases and report back to me:

If any professional tells you something is in accordance with all professional standards which he knows all about, you are entitled to believe him and go ahead and do the things he told you were ok to do, in this case, the mechanic said the car was OK, he did not say it was ok to drive for only a short distance.

So it does not matter how far the OP drove after being told the car was OK what matters is the time to breakdown

The car broke down soon after that was said, the OP did not try to hide what he wished to have checked, the fault was not found by the mechanic and the mechanic said he had checked for it and that particular fault is a common fault, usually causing much more damage to the engine and elsewhere. It has happened many times.

That mechanic was after a big pay day

So tell me again why all UK solicitors are perfect and do no wrong and say no wrong, and if it were your car would say that.

Reply to
Tony

It is, and first I thought "£1k for a wheel bearing - even at main dealer prices that should only be about £350", then I read what was damaged as a result, and whilst a hell of a lot of money, it's understandable how a bill could amount to that, taking into account main dealer labour rates.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

they'll have looked in the book and added the totals for the individual jobs, the fact that most of the disassembly work for some is covered in the others will have "slipped their mind... that'll be 500 pounds please"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In law it IS the drivers responsibility to ensure it is roadworthy. Not knowing about mechanics is not a defence.

Reply to
Conor

The mechanic gets no financial gain from it whatsoever over his wage so how do you come to that conclusion?

Reply to
Conor

Indeed. What's more amazing is how many customers will happily bend over and pay such bills.

Classic example's a clutch change - 5 minute job if the gearbox had to be removed for another reason (like its replacement).

Regarding the OP though - should have just taken it to another garage who had a clue in the first place.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In article , Tim S Kemp writes

Spawn of the Devil large franchises, unfortunately until recently if you bought a new car and wanted the warranty not to be void you had to use them.

I've had trouble with the alarm going off randomly since I bought the car 2.5 years ago, they tried everything, last service but one they swapped 4 key batteries and charged me £18 for the privilege (£4 for 5 on the interweb), it was still doing it last service so I printed out some instructions, no chargeable items unless they check with my wife first and no ultra expensive washer fluid, I even totally filled the container so they couldn't get any in.

I also suggested that as the alarm only ever went off less than 5 minutes after stopping a look at the bonnet intrusion sensor might be appropriate, I'll give you one guess which two items were on the bill, my wife suggested that they remove them as if they didn't I might turn up the next day with a big stick.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Swift

Yup, that's what I said. Same with trucking too!

Reply to
DervMan

Difference is we have alot of procedures in place to do with that.

Reply to
Conor

Only if they're followed, and, no not really, I have procedures too.

Reply to
DervMan

LOL! Yeah, ok, if you reckon. Most of us live in the real world, where you could be paying any thick monkey to work on your car. Hence why word of mouth is *so* important.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

But ours are a legal requirement and proof is often asked for. Also we are subject to random roadside checks by VOSA inspectors.

Reply to
Conor

I have the same legal requirement to keep my vehicle "safe," and can be subject to checks too.

Reply to
DervMan

When I bought my first ever car my next door neighbour, an accountant, came out to admire my not inconsiderable purchase.

He said, "Nice car, course you'll never have any money now."

Apart from "It looks like rain again", I doubt I have ever heard anything more true.

Reply to
allan tracy