Cars taking their lead from Deltic trains?

Sports car that uses a 0.8L engine to charge batteries that power 4 motors giving 362BHP, 0-100KPH in 3.5 seconds and a claimed 110MPG.

Is the next generation of cars taking their cue from the old Deltic trains?

Conor

That bird lifts her leg and her hairstyle changes completely. I wonder if electricity is involved.

They used to put gas turbines instead of diesel engines in locomotives, dunno if they were powering generators to create motion or not, will need to read some more.

Gas turbines are pretty mad though, the business bits of the ones in the planes I deal with at work are probably a similar size to car engines but develop about 1800hp at the gearbox output.

A small gas turbine could power a generator to charge a battery pack in a car while you drive/when you park up yesno?

I dunno how fuel efficient they are, and I can vouch for them being pretty bloody noisy actually. Should I be investing in some patents?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Vapourware.

The GM Volt/Ampera looks more interesting and it's built on the GM Delta platform - close to Deltic.

If the description is accurate - that the petrol engine can power the traction motor directly - then it will be a chance to see if the Kengestion charge will be applied to a vehicle that is a hybrid but not the same type of hybrid as a Pious.

Reply to
Steve Firth

OK for day to day driving BUT it won't do well on a track. A few fast laps could well drain the battery. Including braking regeneration in system effy, average speed is limited by Motor Kw / system efficiency = (0.5 x p x Cd x A x V³) + (Cr x M x G x V). Once that average speed is exceeded the battery is on the discharge slope. For that fuel burn they can't be running much more than 12-15Kw.

I did buckling torque check on a HP (high pressure) turbine disc drive arm, the power (rated torque x 100% speed) worked out to 80,000bhp. Though the usual claim is 800bhp PER HP turbine blade (about 80mm blade height, 0.3Kg single crystal, film cooled), 70 blades =

56,000bhp. HP Turbine disc is about 600mm dia, about 35mm thick at rim, about 800mm across blade tips. Runs at around 11,000rpm.

Probably putting 400-500bhp into the accessory gearbox.

Small turbochargers run 100,000+rpm. I've seen one with PTO for accessory drive. Much more efficient to use a gas generator core with axial flow turbine to drive the compressor and separate power turbine for generator. The power turbine would help quieten it down.

OK at rated load, much better when used for CHP. The problem for road transport is the large power range needed between cruise and acceleration, together with long idle times. When they last messed with GT in cars/trucks they didn't have electronic controls that could handle Mw but fit in a shoe box, Deltic had a cage for the controls about the size of a car.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Hmm, I just have to check there's nothing in the intake and exhaust holes before they start and then stay away from them when they're on, mostly because of the big spinny propeller things attached to the front.

Couldn't you use the Gas Turbine to just charge a battery when needed to keep the load constant? That way it wouldn't have to run all the time.

Reply to
Douglas Payne